Allen Craig goes on disabled list after injuring ankle in Red Sox debut

Aug 5, 2014, 1:13 PM EST

Allen Craig Red Sox AP

Allen Craig turned his left ankle while stepping on first base Friday night during his Red Sox debut and now he’s headed to the disabled list.

Craig logged just four plate appearances for the Red Sox after being acquired from the Cardinals in the deal for John Lackey. Before the trade he struggled all season in St. Louis, hitting just .237 with a .638 OPS in 97 games after topping an .825 OPS in each of the previous three seasons.

He hasn’t been the same since fracturing his left foot late last season and according to Alex Speier of WEEI.com “the Red Sox were trying to discern if there was any connection between last year’s injury and this one.”

In his absence the Red Sox figure to increase rookie Mookie Betts‘ playing time, which could potentially prove to be a positive thing long term. Daniel Nava will also see more action.

1. emrtgb - Aug 5, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Get well soon, Allen.

And yes, we miss you.

– The entire city of St. Louis

• dickclydesdale - Aug 5, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Craig signed his 32 Million deal just in time before all the injuries, enjoy the early retirement!

2. SocraticGadfly - Aug 5, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Yes, I hope you’re not injured. And, definitely sorry if the two injuries are connected.

That said, no, you’re not necessarily missed by every Cardinals fan. Nor, per Miklasz, are the members of the clubhouse who are still moping over a nice guy totally appreciated right now.

• emrtgb - Aug 5, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Let me rephrase, we miss the 2011-2013 Allen Craig, not the 2014 Allen Craig.

And if I had to put money down on who was “complaining”, I’d say it was Descalso and/or Jay, who are best buds with Craig, but I digress.

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 5, 2014 at 1:43 PM

I’ll buy the rephrase … and that’s probably reasonable speculation on who’s beefing, too.

• umrguy42 - Aug 5, 2014 at 4:10 PM

That’s for sure. If he was hitting like ’11-’13 Craig, he’d probably still be on the team, cuz they could sure as heck use that bat.

3. themuddychicken - Aug 5, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Those logjams can sure clear up in a hurry.

I’m all for more Betts and Nava.

4. cincinata - Aug 5, 2014 at 1:35 PM

I think the problem with Craig all along is that he is injury prone, at least as he played in the big leagues. That was probably a big part of the birds willing to trade him. Who knew it would be so soon for another injury?

5. jcmeyer10 - Aug 5, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Why not let him sit out like the did with Papi in 2012? No reason to play him if it’s all about 2015 anyway.

• Paper Lions - Aug 5, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Well, except that it would be a waste to not try to work out his mechanical issues this year.

I doubt he’s been hurt all year. His OF defense has been solid this year and he’s looked as athletic out there as ever (not a high bar, but he hasn’t looked worse).

All year his mechanics and timing have been messed up and eventually it got into his head…he started to look defeated before he even stepped in the box. If he’s healthy, the last month of the season would be a great chance to try to get his mechanics back to where they were….focusing on the mechanics and not the results (since the outcomes of the games don’t matter to Boston).

• spudchukar - Aug 5, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Exactly, accept for the high bar, he is a better defender than he is given credit for. While he doesn’t have great range, it isn’t awful either, he is better than Holiday. He has NEVER made an error in the outfield. That is 1400 innings, and about 350 chances, and while his arm isn’t a cannon it is at least average and accurate.

I understand the trade, well at least the Craig part, would have rather seen Miller than Kelly go but moving him opens RF for Taveras. And while I haven’t been very impressed with Taveras’ speed, defense, and long swing, he should still hit, and Piscotty and Grichuk are still viable alternatives.

I certainly wouldn’t be surprised to see Craig turn it around in Boston, but he isn’t really a good match for them. His approach is to center and the gaps, and he cannot DH with Ortiz there. Put him in Baltimore and/or Toronto and watch him total 25 HR’s and 100 RBIs.

6. beepbeepbeeplgb - Aug 5, 2014 at 1:41 PM

feel awful for the guy. just been a rough year all around. hope he gets better soon. as a cardinal fan i’d like to see him turn it around next year. he’s been my favorite for last 2 or 3 seasons.

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 5, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Kind of sad timing, too, with the Cards-Sox series scheduled.

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 5, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Speaking of, since this is a Sox thread, where’s @tfbuckfutter?

7. whammer32 - Aug 5, 2014 at 1:52 PM

I think his biggest problem is lack of confidence. He seemed to take his struggles very personally and seemed to press more and not move on from his failures. Hopefully he recovers, but from watching him all year he just looks very mentally fragile, which isn’t good for a baseball player in a serious slump.

• beepbeepbeeplgb - Aug 5, 2014 at 1:57 PM

great point. he looked lost and let down even before he got to the plate sometimes this year. then he got to the plate and looked even more lost. very bizarre.

• sabatimus - Aug 5, 2014 at 2:13 PM

You’re talking about Buchholz, right?

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 5, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Buckholz is a whole nother crittter. I’m not sure he understands himself.

8. edelmanfanclub - Aug 5, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Not sure where he will fit in next year, it depends what the sox do with Nava, Betts Bradley or Napoli. Him and Victorino have no value to trade and the Sox are stuck with both for 2015, which won’t be bad if they both revert to 2013 health and form.

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 5, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Add in that Victorino is having back surgery, and hell, maybe Cherington shouldn’t have DFA-ed Carp.

• cincinata - Aug 6, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Hey fan:

When I lived in Boston years ago, I was a big Edelman fan. Is he still on the radio? I would have thought by now, he would be room temperature, but some us live a long time.

• edelmanfanclub - Aug 6, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Haha this name isn’t about Ric Edelman? I made this name when the Patriots drafted then Kent State quarterback Julian Edelman, who obviously has gone on to be a successful special teamer and last year had a great season at WR. Guy is my favorite player. But apparently Ric Edelman is still going strong today. According to google at least..

9. mpdavis63376mpdavis63376 - Aug 5, 2014 at 5:05 PM

If you’re feet on right the rest of your batting mechanics are wrong. And once you get it wrong it goes to your head. I think both things happened to Craig this year and the Cardinals are in no position to coddle him along if they want to get in the playoffs. I liked Craig. but I think his time has passed here in St. Louis and i also think his career is about over, because I think his feet for batting purposes will never be right again.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5230)
  2. M. Kemp (3108)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2800)
  4. C. McGehee (2793)