Aug 5, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Brandon McCarthy for the Diamondbacks: 3-10 with a 5.01 ERA in 18 starts.
Brandon McCarthy for the Yankees: 4-0 with a 2.08 ERA in five starts.
When the Yankees got McCarthy from the Diamondbacks on July 6 in exchange for left-hander Vidal Nuno plenty of people thought he was a prime bounceback candidate because his secondary numbers and track record were much better than his bloated ERA. But no one expected him to turn things around this much.
McCarthy has allowed zero or one earned run in four of his five starts for the Yankees and he’s also thrown 101, 99, 109, 108, and 116 pitches for New York after topping 100 pitches just four times in 18 starts for Arizona.
McCarthy is someone a lot of baseball fans (myself included) root for because he’s very amusing to follow on Twitter, leading to this exchange with noted Red Sox fan and “Parks and Recreation”and “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” creator Michael Schur:
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 3
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)