Aug 5, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
Brandon McCarthy for the Diamondbacks: 3-10 with a 5.01 ERA in 18 starts.
Brandon McCarthy for the Yankees: 4-0 with a 2.08 ERA in five starts.
When the Yankees got McCarthy from the Diamondbacks on July 6 in exchange for left-hander Vidal Nuno plenty of people thought he was a prime bounceback candidate because his secondary numbers and track record were much better than his bloated ERA. But no one expected him to turn things around this much.
McCarthy has allowed zero or one earned run in four of his five starts for the Yankees and he’s also thrown 101, 99, 109, 108, and 116 pitches for New York after topping 100 pitches just four times in 18 starts for Arizona.
McCarthy is someone a lot of baseball fans (myself included) root for because he’s very amusing to follow on Twitter, leading to this exchange with noted Red Sox fan and “Parks and Recreation”and “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” creator Michael Schur:
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)