Brewers place Matt Garza on disabled list with oblique strain

Aug 5, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT

Matt Garza Matt Garza

Milwaukee has placed right-hander Matt Garza on the disabled list with a strained oblique muscle suffered during yesterday’s start against St. Louis.

Garza was cruising along through six shutout, one-hit innings on just 71 pitches when he got hurt and given the nature of oblique strain recovery timetables he’s unlikely to pitch again before September.

He’s pitched well for the Brewers in the first season of a four-year, $50 million contract, starting 23 games with a 3.58 ERA and 104/43 K/BB ratio in 146 innings while holding opponents to a .226 batting average. However, this will be the third consecutive season in which Garza has missed extended time with an injury, as he logged 104 innings in 2012 and 155 innings in 2013.

1. maddog11896 - Aug 5, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Huge Brewer fan, and I’ll be honest the Garza signing has still been iffy for me. He’s a good pitcher, no doubt, but he’s oft injured and streaky at times. Crew got him on a pretty bargain deal even though he’s on the wrong side of 30, but this just seems to me like another Jeff Suppan type deal. I really hope I’m wrong, but something in my gut tells me Garza’s tenure with the Crew will be riddled with problems.

• shaggytoodle - Aug 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM

I have flashbacks of FA Starters not panning out as Suppan and Wolf so I understand, where you are coming from.

With uncertainty of Loshe being back, and I am not 100% sure, but I think Yo can opt out. So Garza is the closest thing to an Ace they would have going into next season.

The Brewers have surprised a lot of baseball fans including myself of being at the top of the division, and without Garza, I don’t see them being there. I also hope having him around helps Peralta and Nelson grow a bit.

Like you eluded to, there is a lot of time for this deal to go south, it is a gamble for the Brewers… and unfortunately the Brewers gambles haven’t paid off too well… Hopefully this one does.

• maddog11896 - Aug 5, 2014 at 6:04 PM

We have Lohse signed through next year and we have a $13 million team option on Gallardo (no, he cannot opt out), so assuming he pitches well we’ll have both next year, as well as Peralta and hopefully Nelson filling out the back of the rotation. I just pray Garza remains somewhat healthy. I saw no silver lining in the Suppan deal, but even the Randy Wolf deal wasn’t horrible. 3 year contract and he delivered pretty well the first 2 seasons, especially the 2nd when we needed him most.

And while I have to agree I did not expect the Brewers to be in 1st place in August, let alone holding 1st place down for over 4 months, I knew they would contend. Maybe it’s because I study baseball and I just know the team that well, but there was not doubt in my mind they’d be contending, and no way in hell they’d finish lower than 3rd place. Gennett and Davis were overlooked while Lucroy was considered sub-par at best, all 3 came out and proved doubters wrong. I mean even heck, the 1st base platoon hasn’t been as god awful as everyone thought. I’m pretty sure defensively speaking Reynolds and Overbay are technically the best defensive 1st basemen in baseball. And all Reynolds has been doing is going yard and flashing the leather. On that note, I learned an interesting fact the other day: Mark Reynolds is a career .326 hitter. Don’t believe me? Look it up. When he goes to the plate and makes contact with the ball, he is a .326 career hitter.

• shaggytoodle - Aug 6, 2014 at 1:05 AM

Well I am glad to be incorrect on the pitcher contracts. For some reason I thought Loshe and Ramirez were in their last year under contract. That means they can put out a very similar team next year which is a good feeling as fan.

I completely underestimated their bullpen, guys like Davis, and Gennett, and even the 1st base platoon with Reynolds, and the guy that I refer to as the 1st basemen, before Prince Fielder. I thought they would contend for the 2nd wild card maybe.

The Brewers seem to stumble after the All-Star break, hopefully that’s all ready behind them, if they can beat the teams they should, which is a reason why they are in 1st.

I know they have some tough series coming up, and other than a 4 games series vs. the Marlins. The rest of Sept is against the division. It will be an interesting end to the regular season, and hopefully the Brewers can make sure Wisconsin fans are interested in October.

Go Brewers.

2. mlbfan8898 - Aug 5, 2014 at 2:28 PM

What, did someone beam him in the back too?

• illuminancer - Aug 5, 2014 at 6:20 PM

One more reason I’m glad the Giants didn’t sign him.

3. 78mu - Aug 5, 2014 at 2:35 PM

A lot of Bewer fans (at least the ones commenting on Sunday’s game in the Journal Sentinel) thought Roenicke should have been fired for pulling Garza before they knew he was hurt. Will they now apologize?

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS