Aug 5, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
T.J. Quinn of ESPN following up on all of the news about the DEA arresting Anthony Bosch and others connected with Biogenesis:
Two law enforcement sources tell me investigation revealed previously unnamed MLB players. Names will be revealed. Expect more suspensions.
— T.J. Quinn (@TJQuinnESPN) August 5, 2014
The fun part about this — other than the names themselves, which people pretty much consider the be-all, end-all of PED stories — is to see how MLB handles the suspensions. Last year, in what was clearly a p.r.-driven process, baseball gave what were essentially “until the end of the year” suspensions for everyone except Alex Rodriguez. I suppose if the names come out right now they could still do that.
But what if the names come out, say, in the first week of October? And the players are on playoff teams? What if they come out in mid-September? Will it last through the beginning of next season, which is a result MLB took pains to avoid with everyone last year? And, it should be noted, took pains to put to bed before Bud Selig’s final go-around as Commissioner.
Also: does the fact that these guys, presumably, stood silent until now while more than a dozen took a hit mean that they were somehow worse? Should they have come forward? Or, at the very least, will their teammates be mad at them for not getting all of this behind them before?
Just delicious, no?
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)