Aug 5, 2014, 2:59 PM EST
T.J. Quinn of ESPN following up on all of the news about the DEA arresting Anthony Bosch and others connected with Biogenesis:
Two law enforcement sources tell me investigation revealed previously unnamed MLB players. Names will be revealed. Expect more suspensions.
— T.J. Quinn (@TJQuinnESPN) August 5, 2014
The fun part about this — other than the names themselves, which people pretty much consider the be-all, end-all of PED stories — is to see how MLB handles the suspensions. Last year, in what was clearly a p.r.-driven process, baseball gave what were essentially “until the end of the year” suspensions for everyone except Alex Rodriguez. I suppose if the names come out right now they could still do that.
But what if the names come out, say, in the first week of October? And the players are on playoff teams? What if they come out in mid-September? Will it last through the beginning of next season, which is a result MLB took pains to avoid with everyone last year? And, it should be noted, took pains to put to bed before Bud Selig’s final go-around as Commissioner.
Also: does the fact that these guys, presumably, stood silent until now while more than a dozen took a hit mean that they were somehow worse? Should they have come forward? Or, at the very least, will their teammates be mad at them for not getting all of this behind them before?
Just delicious, no?
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)