Aug 5, 2014, 2:59 PM EST
T.J. Quinn of ESPN following up on all of the news about the DEA arresting Anthony Bosch and others connected with Biogenesis:
Two law enforcement sources tell me investigation revealed previously unnamed MLB players. Names will be revealed. Expect more suspensions.
— T.J. Quinn (@TJQuinnESPN) August 5, 2014
The fun part about this — other than the names themselves, which people pretty much consider the be-all, end-all of PED stories — is to see how MLB handles the suspensions. Last year, in what was clearly a p.r.-driven process, baseball gave what were essentially “until the end of the year” suspensions for everyone except Alex Rodriguez. I suppose if the names come out right now they could still do that.
But what if the names come out, say, in the first week of October? And the players are on playoff teams? What if they come out in mid-September? Will it last through the beginning of next season, which is a result MLB took pains to avoid with everyone last year? And, it should be noted, took pains to put to bed before Bud Selig’s final go-around as Commissioner.
Also: does the fact that these guys, presumably, stood silent until now while more than a dozen took a hit mean that they were somehow worse? Should they have come forward? Or, at the very least, will their teammates be mad at them for not getting all of this behind them before?
Just delicious, no?
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)