Aug 5, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
T.J. Quinn of ESPN following up on all of the news about the DEA arresting Anthony Bosch and others connected with Biogenesis:
Two law enforcement sources tell me investigation revealed previously unnamed MLB players. Names will be revealed. Expect more suspensions.
— T.J. Quinn (@TJQuinnESPN) August 5, 2014
The fun part about this — other than the names themselves, which people pretty much consider the be-all, end-all of PED stories — is to see how MLB handles the suspensions. Last year, in what was clearly a p.r.-driven process, baseball gave what were essentially “until the end of the year” suspensions for everyone except Alex Rodriguez. I suppose if the names come out right now they could still do that.
But what if the names come out, say, in the first week of October? And the players are on playoff teams? What if they come out in mid-September? Will it last through the beginning of next season, which is a result MLB took pains to avoid with everyone last year? And, it should be noted, took pains to put to bed before Bud Selig’s final go-around as Commissioner.
Also: does the fact that these guys, presumably, stood silent until now while more than a dozen took a hit mean that they were somehow worse? Should they have come forward? Or, at the very least, will their teammates be mad at them for not getting all of this behind them before?
Just delicious, no?
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 11
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 3
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 15
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 7
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 36
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)