Aug 5, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT
Travis Sawchik of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review just spoke to Andrew McCutchen who told him that he does not have an oblique strain. Rather, he has a broken rib. There is also some cartilage damage in the area.
It’s not at all clear if this changes his timetable. On the one hand, McCutchen tells Sawchik that he is not on the DL yet because he is hoping to see if he gets quick improvement. On the other hand, broken ribs often take as long as oblique strains to heal. Troy Tulowitzki missed about four weeks last year with a broken rib. Some guys are only out a short time. Others miss a ton of time. There’s a lot of variance. Mostly because there are a lot of ribs.
Updates when we get them.
UPDATE: Pittsburgh confirmed this …
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 12
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 11
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 11
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 74
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)