The Indians release Nyjer Morgan

Aug 5, 2014, 4:01 PM EST

Screen Shot 2014-08-05 at 4.00.44 PM Getty Images

Nyjer Morgan played in only 15 games for the Indians this year and the last of those came in mid-May, when he suffered an injury to his right knee. In the middle of that he was demoted to Columbus. So, no, it’s not as if Morgan was a big part of the Indians plans for the stretch run. Today that was confirmed, as the Indians released him.

Morgan was 14 for 41 with one home run, six RBI and three stolen bases. It was surprise he even made the team, really, as he was out of the bigs in 2013 playing for the Yokohoma Bay Stars of NPB. He played pretty well there, actually. Maybe he can go back for a couple more seasons.

1. skerney - Aug 5, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Don’t do it, Sabean. Just don’t.

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 5, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Maybe the Brew Crew will invite Tony Plush back?

• jvandever007 - Aug 5, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Remember the last time he was there….I do he pretty much won the world series with his loud mouth for the cardinals.If I was mo I would reimburse the brewers on whatever he wanted to be a paid to be a brewer

2. provguard - Aug 5, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Please Sabean, no way! The guy is a cancer wherever he plays.

3. twinfan24 - Aug 5, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Hope he saved some of his money. I don’t think he has any big paydays coming in MLB.

4. dsaverno - Aug 5, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Sorry to see him go. He must have been on a hot-streak when he played this year, but he was definitely a spark in the early season lineup. I did notice that he seemed to miss a few fly balls (sss applies) that ‘normal’ center fielders would make; i.e. fly balls that landed in the gaps, far in front of the warning track. Plus anyone with an alter ego is okay in my book.

• natocoles - Aug 5, 2014 at 4:46 PM

He was a really good member of the Brewers’ recent playoff team, the 2011 team. (Aka the team that made Kirk Gibson cry.)

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 5, 2014 at 4:51 PM

DBacks. Dude is ready to throw down, and that trumps talent any ol’ day for the DBacks.

6. serbingood - Aug 5, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Insert obligatory Brian Cashman quip here_____________________________________________

7. stlouis1baseball - Aug 5, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Wow. I thought this chump was still playing in Japan.

• NatsLady - Aug 5, 2014 at 8:52 PM

No, he came back. One of the first things Jayson Werth ever did as a Nat was get rid of this guy (well, making sure management got rid of him). I’m ashamed to say that I have his jersey among my cleaning rags. He seemed like a bright light when the Nats were a REALLY bad team. He wasn’t.

• jamnew44 - Aug 6, 2014 at 8:27 AM

I remember Morgan, Elijah Dukes and couple other good play-bad play Nats from that time. I glad Rizzo cleaned house when he came in.

• Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Aug 6, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Guy’s a fuc**** douchebag! Glad that pest is out in the NPB. Morgan-san think he owns the place.

8. carpi2 - Aug 5, 2014 at 10:09 PM

I remember when Morgan was a young, electric player for the Nats. Always sad to see a player fall hard.

9. swmocardsfan - Aug 6, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Obviously as a Cardinals fan, Morgan is not at the top of my “favorite players on other teams” list, but it is sad to see someone fall from such promise to this. One has to wonder, had he just kept his mouth shut and played, would he still be in this position?

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6234)