Aug 5, 2014, 12:31 PM EST
Padres manager Bud Black told MLB Network Radio today that he expects the team to name a new general manager within the next 48 hours.
As we noted yesterday, Yankees assistant general manager Billy Eppler is viewed as the front-runner,, but several others have been mentioned for the job, including Kim Ng and even Kevin Towers.
Now that the trading deadline is over and the Padres have unloaded most of what they need to unload, the urgency for a new GM isn’t quite what it was. But whoever gets the job has a big job ahead of them.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)