Aug 5, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Yasiel Puig does this so often. In the space of a couple of innings showing us everything that’s wonderful about him and showing us everything that he still has to learn.
Watch as, first, he fires a missile back to first base, nearly picking off Erick Aybar who had strayed too far off the bag on a fly to center. That’s what’s great. His aggressiveness and that arm which, occasionally, is going to make someone pay.
Then watch as he takes a mental break on another fly ball, allowing an alert and savvy Albert Pujols to tag up from first and go to second right in front of him despite the fact that he has walked and ran like Fred Sanford for about three or four years now.
Bonus: the Dikembe Mutumbo-style finger wag from Puig on the good play, and the “you got a lot to learn, son” head shaking from Pujols on the latter play. And of course, Vin Scully being on hand to describe it all.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 15
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 44
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)