A.J. Pierzynski: “I love Boston … I know everyone expects me to be bitter, but I’m not”

Aug 6, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT

A.J. Pierzynski Getty Getty Images

On one hand A.J. Pierzynski played poorly for the Red Sox while being paid $8.25 million and was released two-thirds of the way through his one-year contract.

On the other hand the Red Sox, as they so often do, badmouthed Pierzynski through the media on his way out of town and painted him in the worst possible light.

So now that he’s in St. Louis should the 37-year-old catcher be angry with how things went in Boston? After his Cardinals beat the Red Sox yesterday Pierzynski explained that he has “no hard feelings”:

I love Boston. The city, I enjoyed it, I enjoyed the heck out of it. Boston was great. I have no hard feelings. I know everyone expects me to be bitter and to be mad but I’m not, I’m really not. It was great. …

It seems like every time someone’s let go from a team, no matter what team it is, there’s always something that’s said. That’s just the way it is in sports today and the way it is in everything today, in life today. Nobody said anything to me while I was there so whatever was said after I left is not a big deal to me.

Pierzynski has hit .320 with a .730 OPS in seven games for the Cardinals after hitting .254 with a .633 OPS in 72 games for the Red Sox.

1. stex52 - Aug 6, 2014 at 11:35 AM

I don’t think he’s bitter. Just a jerk.

• historiophiliac - Aug 6, 2014 at 12:16 PM

And clearly has equally low expectations for others as well.

2. bbgraf08 - Aug 6, 2014 at 11:44 AM

The author goes out of his way to say Boston always has something to say about it’s players on the way out, but the professional baseball player says every team does. I’m listening to the ball player over a hack blogger.

• stex52 - Aug 6, 2014 at 11:53 AM

There is a reason everyone has something to say when Pierzynski leaves. You can choose a ballplayer as your source, but personally I would choose another ballplayer.

• rje49 - Aug 6, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Give some thought as to what “the team said” actually means. It’s usually one employee who is neither the team’s official spokesperson nor authorized to speak for the team; just an employee with a mouth.

• bbgraf08 - Aug 6, 2014 at 6:36 PM

This excuse goes both ways.

Glenn’s post from below sums up my feelings on this: “The Red Sox organization takes a lot of heat for bashing people as they are heading out the door, but it seems unwarranted in this case. Team mates of Pierzynski spoke to the media about him, not the organization. Other than the treatment of Francona (which was inexcusable), I don’t see the Red Sox as different from any other organization.”

3. mikhelb - Aug 6, 2014 at 11:45 AM

PierZENski

4. beepbeepbeeplgb - Aug 6, 2014 at 11:59 AM

waino says he’s a good guy so that’s good enough for me.

5. Glenn - Aug 6, 2014 at 12:02 PM

6. cincinata - Aug 6, 2014 at 12:02 PM

The B-A will not last long, as he is not a .320 hitter or anywhere close to it. So he had a hot streak, but soon will settle down to his usual .250 or less. He does have some power, but if Yadi is not back soon, the birds are toast at that position. I lived in Boston way back, and remember that most of the writers and most of the fans bad mouthed almost every player who left or was traded away from Boston. And they did this with A.J. That’s the way it goes there. Live with it.

• stex52 - Aug 6, 2014 at 12:10 PM

AJ will probably hit better in St. Louis than he did in Boston, and he does (or used to) have some pop. Where they will really miss Yadi is on defense.

• beepbeepbeeplgb - Aug 6, 2014 at 12:32 PM

they’re toast? 10-8 since yadi got hurt. yes, they are obviously missing him (mainly behind the plate, people have been running on them like crazy), but i’d say that’s a little better than toast.

• cincinata - Aug 6, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Stick a fork in them. They don’t hit very well and pitching is still off and on.

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 6, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Pitching’s going to be more “on” with Lackey. Plus, since it appears that AJ, like Lackey (and Masterson) were also acquired to shake up the chemistry, I wouldn’t call them “toast” yet for other reasons.

7. nsstlfan - Aug 6, 2014 at 12:07 PM

So all you are putting your comment on is that you use to live in Boston. You didn’t mention anything but the first sentence about AJ with nothing to back it.

• stex52 - Aug 6, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Are you talking about the part with the .320 average? That’s easy. He hasn’t hit above .300 since 2003. And the natural aging process has slowed him a lot in the last two years.

• cincinata - Aug 6, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Nothing to back it? Are you nuts? When did he ever hit .320? Never! Let’s say this. I predict that A.J. will not finish this season with the cards hitting over .260. I only say that because he got very hot for the first week or so, and I don’t know how much more he will play. If he only gets a few games more to play, that .320 will hold for a while. But if he play in more than 10 games, he will not hit anywhere near that level.

8. titansbro - Aug 6, 2014 at 12:15 PM

What exactly was said about him? That he sucked? Most teams will provide a reason for releasing a guy. Now the crap with Francona? That was pathetic. But this? Nope.

9. Lee Durocher - Aug 6, 2014 at 12:40 PM

At least he is not holding a grudge. It has been a tough year for the Red Sox especially for the fans. They went from worst to first and back to worst. WTF!!!

• 18thstreet - Aug 6, 2014 at 12:50 PM

It’s been a strange year, but it hasn’t been a tough year. 2003 was a tough year. This is cake.

10. edelmanfanclub - Aug 6, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Boston still owes him around 2 million, why be bummed?

11. bisonaudit - Aug 6, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Congratulations Boston. It takes some work to look bad next to A.J. Pierzenski.

12. drewsylvania - Aug 6, 2014 at 4:22 PM

He may not be bitter, but we are.

13. gloccamorra - Aug 7, 2014 at 1:23 AM

Oh, that A.J. ! He instinctively knows just the right thing to say to enrage people. This “I’m not bitter, I love Boston” is the most diabolical yet.

14. 4Q - Aug 9, 2014 at 11:29 AM

AJP doesn’t have a problem with how he left Boston why should Aaron Glickman? Glickman’s trolling for clicks -

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3511)