Aug 6, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
On one hand A.J. Pierzynski played poorly for the Red Sox while being paid $8.25 million and was released two-thirds of the way through his one-year contract.
On the other hand the Red Sox, as they so often do, badmouthed Pierzynski through the media on his way out of town and painted him in the worst possible light.
So now that he’s in St. Louis should the 37-year-old catcher be angry with how things went in Boston? After his Cardinals beat the Red Sox yesterday Pierzynski explained that he has “no hard feelings”:
I love Boston. The city, I enjoyed it, I enjoyed the heck out of it. Boston was great. I have no hard feelings. I know everyone expects me to be bitter and to be mad but I’m not, I’m really not. It was great. …
It seems like every time someone’s let go from a team, no matter what team it is, there’s always something that’s said. That’s just the way it is in sports today and the way it is in everything today, in life today. Nobody said anything to me while I was there so whatever was said after I left is not a big deal to me.
Pierzynski has hit .320 with a .730 OPS in seven games for the Cardinals after hitting .254 with a .633 OPS in 72 games for the Red Sox.
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 13
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 14
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 9
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 80
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)