Andrelton Simmons has an ankle injury that may send him to the disabled list

Aug 6, 2014, 3:53 PM EST

Andrelton Simmons

I’ve taken a pretty zen approach to the Braves’ losing streak. My view of the Braves right now is sort of a Rust Cohle thing. I got what I call a life trap, a gene-deep certainty that things will be different. That I’ll wake up tomorrow, the offense will hit the bullpen won’t break and the defense will stop wearing its clown shoes out each game. That I’ll achieve baseball fulfillment.

But nothing’s ever fulfilled, not until the very end. And closure. Ha! nothing is ever over. Apparently not this losing streak, either.  In related news:

Needless to say this is bad. Simmons was said to have “tweaked” the ankle last night, but this is obviously more than a tweak. Fredi Gonzalez is hopeful the shortstop can avoid the DL, but this looks serious. Given the off day tomorrow, no decisions will be made, in all likelihood, until Friday.

I have seen the finale of thousands of lives, man. Young, old, each one so sure of their realness. You know that their sensory experience constituted a unique individual with purpose and meaning. So certain that they were more than biological puppet. The truth wills out, and everybody sees. Once the strings are cut, all fall down.

1. stex52 - Aug 6, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Wow, Craig. That’s one serious sprained ankle. Where do we send flowers?

2. renaado - Aug 6, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Hope you get well soon Simmons, a day of mine would be incomplete without those amazin plays of yours.i

• pelumaad - Aug 7, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Yeah…he is the second best SS in the National League East.

3. Liam - Aug 6, 2014 at 4:37 PM

This is honestly the worst baseball news since the Jose Fernandez Tommy John surgery.

4. moogro - Aug 6, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Baseball is dying. J/K

Just died a little bit, for a little while.

5. eutawmike - Aug 6, 2014 at 5:43 PM

once the strings are cut,all fall down. WOW I love this site

6. shyts7 - Aug 6, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Nice True Detective reference.

7. pelumaad - Aug 7, 2014 at 10:38 AM

That last paragraph read like an obituary.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5414)