Aug 6, 2014, 3:53 PM EST
I’ve taken a pretty zen approach to the Braves’ losing streak. My view of the Braves right now is sort of a Rust Cohle thing. I got what I call a life trap, a gene-deep certainty that things will be different. That I’ll wake up tomorrow, the offense will hit the bullpen won’t break and the defense will stop wearing its clown shoes out each game. That I’ll achieve baseball fulfillment.
But nothing’s ever fulfilled, not until the very end. And closure. Ha! nothing is ever over. Apparently not this losing streak, either. In related news:
#Braves Simmons on crutches, Fredi G said they’re hoping he’ll avoid DL but it swelled after stopped icing it last night
— David O’Brien (@DOBrienAJC) August 6, 2014
Needless to say this is bad. Simmons was said to have “tweaked” the ankle last night, but this is obviously more than a tweak. Fredi Gonzalez is hopeful the shortstop can avoid the DL, but this looks serious. Given the off day tomorrow, no decisions will be made, in all likelihood, until Friday.
I have seen the finale of thousands of lives, man. Young, old, each one so sure of their realness. You know that their sensory experience constituted a unique individual with purpose and meaning. So certain that they were more than biological puppet. The truth wills out, and everybody sees. Once the strings are cut, all fall down.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)