Aug 6, 2014, 3:53 PM EDT
I’ve taken a pretty zen approach to the Braves’ losing streak. My view of the Braves right now is sort of a Rust Cohle thing. I got what I call a life trap, a gene-deep certainty that things will be different. That I’ll wake up tomorrow, the offense will hit the bullpen won’t break and the defense will stop wearing its clown shoes out each game. That I’ll achieve baseball fulfillment.
But nothing’s ever fulfilled, not until the very end. And closure. Ha! nothing is ever over. Apparently not this losing streak, either. In related news:
#Braves Simmons on crutches, Fredi G said they’re hoping he’ll avoid DL but it swelled after stopped icing it last night
— David O’Brien (@DOBrienAJC) August 6, 2014
Needless to say this is bad. Simmons was said to have “tweaked” the ankle last night, but this is obviously more than a tweak. Fredi Gonzalez is hopeful the shortstop can avoid the DL, but this looks serious. Given the off day tomorrow, no decisions will be made, in all likelihood, until Friday.
I have seen the finale of thousands of lives, man. Young, old, each one so sure of their realness. You know that their sensory experience constituted a unique individual with purpose and meaning. So certain that they were more than biological puppet. The truth wills out, and everybody sees. Once the strings are cut, all fall down.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 14
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 21
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 39
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)