Aug 6, 2014, 3:53 PM EDT
I’ve taken a pretty zen approach to the Braves’ losing streak. My view of the Braves right now is sort of a Rust Cohle thing. I got what I call a life trap, a gene-deep certainty that things will be different. That I’ll wake up tomorrow, the offense will hit the bullpen won’t break and the defense will stop wearing its clown shoes out each game. That I’ll achieve baseball fulfillment.
But nothing’s ever fulfilled, not until the very end. And closure. Ha! nothing is ever over. Apparently not this losing streak, either. In related news:
#Braves Simmons on crutches, Fredi G said they’re hoping he’ll avoid DL but it swelled after stopped icing it last night
— David O’Brien (@DOBrienAJC) August 6, 2014
Needless to say this is bad. Simmons was said to have “tweaked” the ankle last night, but this is obviously more than a tweak. Fredi Gonzalez is hopeful the shortstop can avoid the DL, but this looks serious. Given the off day tomorrow, no decisions will be made, in all likelihood, until Friday.
I have seen the finale of thousands of lives, man. Young, old, each one so sure of their realness. You know that their sensory experience constituted a unique individual with purpose and meaning. So certain that they were more than biological puppet. The truth wills out, and everybody sees. Once the strings are cut, all fall down.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 38
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 69
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 121
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (132)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (110)