Aug 6, 2014, 3:53 PM EDT
I’ve taken a pretty zen approach to the Braves’ losing streak. My view of the Braves right now is sort of a Rust Cohle thing. I got what I call a life trap, a gene-deep certainty that things will be different. That I’ll wake up tomorrow, the offense will hit the bullpen won’t break and the defense will stop wearing its clown shoes out each game. That I’ll achieve baseball fulfillment.
But nothing’s ever fulfilled, not until the very end. And closure. Ha! nothing is ever over. Apparently not this losing streak, either. In related news:
#Braves Simmons on crutches, Fredi G said they’re hoping he’ll avoid DL but it swelled after stopped icing it last night
— David O’Brien (@DOBrienAJC) August 6, 2014
Needless to say this is bad. Simmons was said to have “tweaked” the ankle last night, but this is obviously more than a tweak. Fredi Gonzalez is hopeful the shortstop can avoid the DL, but this looks serious. Given the off day tomorrow, no decisions will be made, in all likelihood, until Friday.
I have seen the finale of thousands of lives, man. Young, old, each one so sure of their realness. You know that their sensory experience constituted a unique individual with purpose and meaning. So certain that they were more than biological puppet. The truth wills out, and everybody sees. Once the strings are cut, all fall down.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)