Aug 6, 2014, 5:34 PM EDT
From Ken Rosenthal:
Sources: Hamels claimed on revocable trade waivers by unidentified club. #Phillies have 48 hours to work out a trade or pull him back.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) August 6, 2014
As we noted recently, it’s never a good idea to get worked up over waivers or even waiver claims in August. The practical effect of this is, if the Phillies do want to trade Hamels, they have to deal with the claiming team. Given that the Phillies were asking an arm and a leg for Hamels in July — and rightfully so — it’s highly unlikely one team, bidding against no one else, is going to offer the kind of package the Phillies need to let Hamels go. He’ll almost certainly be pulled back and no deal made. No harm, no foul.
The question I have — and I’ll note that, no, it’s not a terribly important question, just one that popped into my head — is whether the Phillies actually thought one of the better pitchers in baseball would clear waivers, thereby allowing them to deal with any team they wanted? If they didn’t, why bother, for the reasons stated above. If they did think that, well, we’ll just say that we hope they didn’t think that.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 1
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 3
- The beauty of belief 33
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 40
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 74
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)