Aug 6, 2014, 5:34 PM EST
From Ken Rosenthal:
Sources: Hamels claimed on revocable trade waivers by unidentified club. #Phillies have 48 hours to work out a trade or pull him back.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) August 6, 2014
As we noted recently, it’s never a good idea to get worked up over waivers or even waiver claims in August. The practical effect of this is, if the Phillies do want to trade Hamels, they have to deal with the claiming team. Given that the Phillies were asking an arm and a leg for Hamels in July — and rightfully so — it’s highly unlikely one team, bidding against no one else, is going to offer the kind of package the Phillies need to let Hamels go. He’ll almost certainly be pulled back and no deal made. No harm, no foul.
The question I have — and I’ll note that, no, it’s not a terribly important question, just one that popped into my head — is whether the Phillies actually thought one of the better pitchers in baseball would clear waivers, thereby allowing them to deal with any team they wanted? If they didn’t, why bother, for the reasons stated above. If they did think that, well, we’ll just say that we hope they didn’t think that.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)