Aug 6, 2014, 5:34 PM EST
From Ken Rosenthal:
Sources: Hamels claimed on revocable trade waivers by unidentified club. #Phillies have 48 hours to work out a trade or pull him back.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) August 6, 2014
As we noted recently, it’s never a good idea to get worked up over waivers or even waiver claims in August. The practical effect of this is, if the Phillies do want to trade Hamels, they have to deal with the claiming team. Given that the Phillies were asking an arm and a leg for Hamels in July — and rightfully so — it’s highly unlikely one team, bidding against no one else, is going to offer the kind of package the Phillies need to let Hamels go. He’ll almost certainly be pulled back and no deal made. No harm, no foul.
The question I have — and I’ll note that, no, it’s not a terribly important question, just one that popped into my head — is whether the Phillies actually thought one of the better pitchers in baseball would clear waivers, thereby allowing them to deal with any team they wanted? If they didn’t, why bother, for the reasons stated above. If they did think that, well, we’ll just say that we hope they didn’t think that.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)