Aug 6, 2014, 7:59 AM EDT
New uniform, same results: a lot of strikeouts, no walks and a nice long outing that, had the Tigers bats been a bit more effective early, would’ve saved the bullpen. Welcome to the Tigers, David Price.
Price didn’t get the win, but he certainly did what the Tigers wanted him to do when they traded for him. He pitched eight and two-thirds innings, scattering eight hits, striking out ten Yankees and walking no one. The Tigers went on to win the game in 12 as Joba Chamberlain, Joakim Soria and Joe Nathan shut things down after Price’s departure. While 12 innings is not something a manager wants to endure, that’s a bullpen combination Brad Ausmus would love to rely on in late innings, avoiding his less-effective relievers. Price’s long outing made that possible.
To see the contrast, one need only look at the Athletics-Rays game where the pitcher who was traded away from Detroit for Price — Drew Smyly — labored over five and a third innings, leaving with the loss and tossing only five fewer pitches that Price did in nearly nine. Smyly’s a fine pitcher and will have better days, but the Tigers are in win-now mode and an ace who can dominate games is what is needed. Even if Price makes the fourth or even fifth ace on the staff.
For his part, Price seemed relieved after the game to have his first Tigers start under his belt, saying “Happy it’s over, and happy we won. Finally feel part of the team.”
I’m sure the feeling is mutual, David.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)