Aug 6, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
Jarred Cosart‘s tenure with the Marlins is not off to an especially strong start. He surrendered four runs over just 5 1/3 innings in his debut last Friday night against the Reds, and now the 24-year-old right-hander — who was acquired from the Astros at the July 31 trade deadline — is dealing with an injury.
MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro reports that Cosart has been scratched from his scheduled start Thursday against the Pirates because of soreness in his left oblique. Brian Flynn, a 24-year-old left-hander with an 8.14 career major league ERA, will get the nod instead.
The hope is that Cosart will be able to return to action Tuesday versus the Cardinals.
He had a strong 3.57 ERA in 176 1/3 total innings with Houston and the Marlins are hoping he can help them make a run at one of the National League Wild Card spots. They’re currently 5 1/2 games back.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)