Meanwhile, Kevin Mitchell allegedly decapitated his girlfriend’s cat in the 1980s.

Aug 6, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT

Kevin Mitchell

I was a kid in the 80s and I all I really remember about Kevin Mitchell were his baseball cards, his on-field exploits and the random things like that bare-handed catch, his multiple position switches, is prodigious weight gain and stuff like that. I certainly didn’t know anything about his life or what he was like as a person. You really didn’t know that stuff about anyone back then.

So I missed this thing about where he allegedly¬†decapitated his girlfriend’s cat. Doc Gooden wrote about it in his autobiography in 1999, but I didn’t read that. Darryl Strawberry talked to HuffPostLive yesterday, however, and it came up:

“That’s a pretty good story. I think that’s pretty accurate,” Strawberry told host Marc Lamont Hill. “Kevin Mitchell did do that. Kevin Mitchell, he’s a different type of guy. Great guy, super teammate…I guess he figured that the girlfriend was acting a little crazy, so I’ll kill her cat.”

So I tweet about it just now out of shock, and then someone sends me a link to a story from October 1989 about how Mitchell used to eat Vicks VapoRup. Like actually ate it. With his mouth and stuff.

Next time someone says the players today aren’t like they used to be, think of Kevin Mitchell and then thank God Almighty that that’s the case.

1. yahmule - Aug 6, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Bunch of scumbags.

• dickclydesdale - Aug 6, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Craig, I read about this story in a 1986 book about the Mets titled “The Bad Guys Won”..You should really brush up on your baseball factoids because bringing up a 28 year old story really makes you look like a bum writer. What next your going to tell us that the 1927 Yankees traveled via train?

• stercuilus65 - Aug 6, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Whatsa matter dick?

2. AlmostForty - Aug 6, 2014 at 2:18 PM

It’s a crazy story. I think there were two of his teammates there and they just sat and said nothing for a while until he seemed to calm down. Then he let them leave.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

• purp1234 - Aug 6, 2014 at 4:05 PM

This was the guy that management thought straw and doc would be poor influences on.

• thebadguyswon - Aug 7, 2014 at 10:06 AM

3. thebadguyswon - Aug 6, 2014 at 2:18 PM

And still better than your team!

4. tcostant - Aug 6, 2014 at 2:27 PM

I remember in 1986 or 1987 that some gang ties got Kevin Mitchell brother killed. Kevin Mitchell asked the Mets for a two-week leave of absence to avenge his brother’s death. The Mets said no and trade him that off-season.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 6, 2014 at 4:37 PM

He was traded to the Padres prior to the 1987 season!

• 4cornersfan - Aug 6, 2014 at 4:57 PM

I don’t understand. Why didn’t they give him the time off? Heartless New Yorkers.

5. chacochicken - Aug 6, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I like the last sentence of the quote. His girlfriend was clearly the one acting crazy. Jim Rome had Doc tell this story on his radio show sometime around ’99.

6. renaado - Aug 6, 2014 at 2:34 PM

No freakin way…

7. philliesblow - Aug 6, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Could VapoRub be a PED?

8. sunking1 - Aug 6, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Decapitating animals?!?… that’s the crazy kind of sh_t you hear that serial killers do before moving on to human victims.

9. bostonfrogs - Aug 6, 2014 at 2:57 PM

The mid-eighties Mets sure were a classy bunch, weren’t they?

• thebadguyswon - Aug 7, 2014 at 5:53 AM

Beat your Sawx!

10. schmedley69 - Aug 6, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Topps should have used that for the little factoid on the back of his baseball card: “Kevin enjoys decapitating animals in his spare time.”

• mybrunoblog - Aug 6, 2014 at 3:43 PM

That’s awesome. I can almost envision the little cartoon with an image of Mitchell in a baseball uniform snapping a cats neck and reading “Kevin enjoys animal cruelty and once snapped a cats neck during a dispute with a girlfriend”

11. tigers182 - Aug 6, 2014 at 3:20 PM

People with major mental issues do crap like this. This piece of trash should be in prison.

12. jfk69 - Aug 6, 2014 at 3:36 PM

On that Met locker room or any other group of lemmings who gather and can’t seem to distinguish right from wrong.
    Now you see a microcosm of how a Hitler can come to power. The only shame is how this bunch of misfits managed to win a WS. The more of these revelations that come to light. The less respect I have for that team.
    A NY FAN

• stex52 - Aug 6, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Everybody knew at the time they were a bunch of crazy bad guys with drug problems. It’s just no one was able to beat them. Killer pitching staff.

• Glenn - Aug 6, 2014 at 8:06 PM

They only won one World Series and the Red Sox handed that one to them.

• thebadguyswon - Aug 7, 2014 at 10:03 AM

HAHA!! You can try to hate all you want, clowns. They were one of the most dominant teams in the last 50 years. Hate that!!

• jfk69 - Aug 8, 2014 at 10:10 AM

A misplayed ERROR ball by Buckner enabled them to go on and win it all. I would hardly call that dominant.

• paulier55 - Aug 6, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Geez, even Hardball Talk isn’t immune from Godwin’s Law.

• 4cornersfan - Aug 6, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Sorry, didn’t see your post when I did mine.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Aug 6, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Thank goodness no mentioned the link between the 1986 Mets and Benghazi.

• idahonick - Aug 6, 2014 at 4:23 PM

LOL Hitler.

• 4cornersfan - Aug 6, 2014 at 4:59 PM

You have violated Godwin’s Law.

• thebadguyswon - Aug 7, 2014 at 10:04 AM

A NY YANKEES FAN

There – fixed it for you.

13. jasjbb - Aug 6, 2014 at 3:39 PM

August 3, 2000 — Look it up. He’s suspended for punching the owner of an Independent League team.

Stay classy, KMitch.

14. barrywhererufrom - Aug 6, 2014 at 4:08 PM

One of the biggest d-bags to put a uniform on..

15. PayBonnilla - Aug 6, 2014 at 5:22 PM

When Daryl Strawberry and Doc Gooden are the guys telling the story, I would take it with a grain of salt. Also, there’s an account of this story in Jeff Pearlman’s “The Bad Guys Won,” Mitchell denies it obviously.

16. edelmanfanclub - Aug 6, 2014 at 5:55 PM

“Here’s comes Mitchell to score the tying run! And Ray Knight is on second base.” That gives me goosebumps almost as back as “Little roller up along first, BEHIND THE BAG! It gets through Buckner, here comes Knight and the Mets win it.” What memorable quotes. Heard the cat story, totally weird.

17. indaburg - Aug 6, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Kevin Mitchell hit on my mom in the 80s. Thank goodness she didn’t take him up of the offer. Fluffy.

18. genericcommenter - Aug 6, 2014 at 7:04 PM

My little brother accidentally ate Vicks when he was a baby and had to go to the hospital. His dad told us that his parents used to give it to him and his siblings when they were kids.

19. stercuilus65 - Aug 6, 2014 at 7:35 PM

And Daryl Strawberry thinks he’s a “great guy”…

20. flyinhighwithvick - Aug 6, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Good article. “With his mouth and stuff”….classic.

• slappymcknucklepunch - Aug 7, 2014 at 2:27 AM

Not a cat fan but my mom always had at least 1 while i was growing up even though I wanted a dog. Still I would most likely killed someone for killing my moms cat. A special place in hell for the indifferent killing of the helpless animals or people.

Orioles turn AL East on its head