Aug 6, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT
Ryan Howard hit a homer yesterday, breaking an 0 for 14 skid. More importantly, he hit the walkoff RBI single in the 15th inning of the game, giving the Phillies the win. Afterward, he started workshopping lyrics to his own personal version of “Forgot about Dre”:
“I think you guys forget what I’ve done. You guys look at what’s going on right now. People forget what I’ve done.”
I don’t think people forget. They’re just sad it doesn’t happen that much anymore. Philly fans can be a lot of things, but I haven’t seen many who hold any personal animosity toward Ryan Howard. They blame Amaro for his contract, not Howard. They wish Howard was a 58-homer hitting guy again, they don’t hate him for not being that.
But whatever Howard is now, it’s nice to see him be defiant like this. The man still has a ton of pride, despite the quasi-benching and the heaps of people pointing out his deficiencies these days.
I never root for the Phillies, but I sorta root for Ryan Howard sometimes. He’s hard not to like and it’s hard not to feel happy for him when he comes through.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 2
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)