Aug 6, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT
Ryan Howard hit a homer yesterday, breaking an 0 for 14 skid. More importantly, he hit the walkoff RBI single in the 15th inning of the game, giving the Phillies the win. Afterward, he started workshopping lyrics to his own personal version of “Forgot about Dre”:
“I think you guys forget what I’ve done. You guys look at what’s going on right now. People forget what I’ve done.”
I don’t think people forget. They’re just sad it doesn’t happen that much anymore. Philly fans can be a lot of things, but I haven’t seen many who hold any personal animosity toward Ryan Howard. They blame Amaro for his contract, not Howard. They wish Howard was a 58-homer hitting guy again, they don’t hate him for not being that.
But whatever Howard is now, it’s nice to see him be defiant like this. The man still has a ton of pride, despite the quasi-benching and the heaps of people pointing out his deficiencies these days.
I never root for the Phillies, but I sorta root for Ryan Howard sometimes. He’s hard not to like and it’s hard not to feel happy for him when he comes through.
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 28
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 64
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)