Aug 6, 2014, 10:34 AM EST
Ryan Howard hit a homer yesterday, breaking an 0 for 14 skid. More importantly, he hit the walkoff RBI single in the 15th inning of the game, giving the Phillies the win. Afterward, he started workshopping lyrics to his own personal version of “Forgot about Dre”:
“I think you guys forget what I’ve done. You guys look at what’s going on right now. People forget what I’ve done.”
I don’t think people forget. They’re just sad it doesn’t happen that much anymore. Philly fans can be a lot of things, but I haven’t seen many who hold any personal animosity toward Ryan Howard. They blame Amaro for his contract, not Howard. They wish Howard was a 58-homer hitting guy again, they don’t hate him for not being that.
But whatever Howard is now, it’s nice to see him be defiant like this. The man still has a ton of pride, despite the quasi-benching and the heaps of people pointing out his deficiencies these days.
I never root for the Phillies, but I sorta root for Ryan Howard sometimes. He’s hard not to like and it’s hard not to feel happy for him when he comes through.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 121
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (369)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (126)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)