Video: A loose ball on the field thwarted an Indians rally

Aug 6, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT

Video camera

We talked about this in the recaps this morning, but let’s talk some more.

In last night’s Reds-Indians game, the Indians were starting a little rally in the seventh on an RBI double by Yan Gomes that sent baserunner David Murphy toward third. Murphy tried to score when he saw the ball rolling on the field but it turned out it was merely a ball, not the ball. Specifically a ball that had gotten loose from the Reds bullpen, fooling Murphy into thinking it was the ball in play. Meanwhile, the ball in play was relayed to third where Murphy was tagged out.

Here’s how it went down:

Can someone tell me why either (a) the third base coach didn’t see the loose ball and/or distinguish it from the live ball; or (b) the umpires didn’t call it a dead ball?

It probably didn’t matter — the Reds had a big lead — but it certainly was bizarre.

1. josemartez - Aug 6, 2014 at 12:00 PM

What team does the first announcer call for? Is he always that intense/loud?

• normcash - Aug 6, 2014 at 12:47 PM

1) The Indians radio voice Tom Hamilton
      2) Yes

• shawndc04 - Aug 6, 2014 at 12:51 PM

That’s Tom Hamilton of Cleveland. He gets excited at times.

2. sophiethegreatdane - Aug 6, 2014 at 12:00 PM

I hope someone comes along to teach us baseball “virgins” a thing or two about the rules. I could use some schoolin’.

3. titansbro - Aug 6, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Should be treated like a balk, runner scores.

4. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 6, 2014 at 12:25 PM

First I’d like to say I’m glad this wasn’t a ball that a fan threw onto the field. Second, there is no excuse for the umpire not calling this a dead ball and the runners on second and third stay where they are. The second the ball came onto the field, play should have stopped. And the umpires should have retroactively fixed this play.

• dsaverno - Aug 6, 2014 at 12:34 PM

the wrath of the ferret cometh.

• blacksables - Aug 6, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Instead of acting like a five-year and resorting to name-calling just because someone showed you that you were wrong, why not be a semi-adult about it?

Prove that I’m wrong. Show me a link to something in the rule book that says it was a dead ball situation and the umpires could call it before completion of the play. Then show me how the umpires made a mistake.

I gave you the link. Were the words to big for you?

Instead of being a petty person, show you actually can learn something about the game.

Making up rules just because you want them to be that why works great at your own birthday parties, but once you have to put on your big-boy pants, the world works differently.

• dsaverno - Aug 6, 2014 at 1:25 PM

haven’t learned a damned thing from you. I read the relevant passages regarding “time out” and dead balls. They are not as sable and white as you believe them to be. My opinion of the play did not change after reading the rules. I don’t even care if I’m right or wrong. I presented an opinion and you, with false bravado, demanded that I had to be wrong because: rulebook interpretation, i guess. And I think my nickname for you provides more insight into your character than your own, so I will keep using it.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 6, 2014 at 1:38 PM

blacksables, are you off your meds or something? Your comment makes no sense. I assume you are talking to me, but since you apparently can’t seem to form a cohesive sentence let alone figure out how to properly use the commenting system here, I figure I need to ask to be sure.

What link? Who is making up rules? An object was thrown on the field. That should have resulted in a dead ball and play should have been suspended. It’s really not that complicated.

Who called anyone names? Except you calling me petty now several times. I know you apparently are bored enough you have to stalk my posts and attack me every time I say something, but it’s time to grow up and move on. This guy right here isn’t feeding your tolling anymore. Time to find a new target.

• dsaverno - Aug 6, 2014 at 1:53 PM

scout, the ferret is on the warpath regarding me. He takes exception to my nickname for him and with the fact that I have an opinion that doesn’t mesh with his.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 6, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Ahh. He’s been stalking my posts the past few days posting nonsensical responses, so I just assumed this was yet another attempt to troll me. At least I can take some solace in knowing I’m not the only one getting trolled by this fool.

• maddog11896 - Aug 6, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Not bashing you or anything, but if you ever played baseball you must have really not gotten into it. When your adrenaline is going and you’re getting ready to run, you’re paying attention to the ball the player is going after. I’m not saying the umpires and players ignored the other ball, I’m saying they didn’t see it. They were doing what you’re supposed to do and focusing on what the right fielder was doing. David Murphy did the right thing, but at the same time he made a mistake. He listened to the 3rd base coach and ran, which is what you should do, but he looked up and saw the other ball and started running, which is what you shouldn’t do. You listen to the coach on 3rd.

• clydeserra - Aug 6, 2014 at 8:55 PM

it looked to me that murphy was staying at third, taking a little look to see that the play at second was secure and saw the bullpen ball and assumed it was the ball in play (because why wouldn’t he). but since he complied with the third base coach’s stay signal but didn’t think he had to get back quickly because the not live ball was clearly on the ground with no one controlling it.

Unfortunate for him

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3502)