Aug 7, 2014, 5:07 PM EST
Calvin Watkins of ESPN Dallas reports that Rangers outfielder Alex Rios has cleared revocable waivers, which means it’s just like July all over again for him and Texas, as he can be traded to any team.
I figured he’s be a borderline case to clear. He’s making $12.5 million this year, but it’s the last year of his famously bad deal, and there are less than two months left on the season. He also has a team option for next year that is unlikely to be picked up with a $1 million buyout. That’s not super cheap, but not crazy either. At least not as crazy as it seemed when he signed the deal back in 2008.
Rios isn’t tearing up the pea patch, but he’s been decent this year, hitting .293/.323/.412 with four home runs, 45 RBI, and 16 stolen bases over 110 games. In a world where offense is really hard to come by, you have to figure a contender may take a run at him now that he’s cleared.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 284
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (284)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)