Aug 7, 2014, 6:52 PM EST
The Angels announced this evening that they acquired right-handed reliever Vinnie Pestano from the Indians in exchange for minor league right-hander Michael Clevinger. Per Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, Pestano will report to Triple-A Salt Lake.
Pestano was quietly one of the game’s best relievers from 2011-2012, but he has a 4.26 ERA in 50 appearances dating back to the start of last season and has spent the majority of this season in the minors. While his stuff isn’t what it once was, his numbers in Triple-A have been pretty good this year, with a 1.78 ERA, six saves, and 37/12 K/BB ratio over 30 1/3 innings. Perhaps the Angels will catch some lightening in a bottle down the stretch. If not, they’ll likely just non-tender him this offseason.
Clevinger, a fourth-round pick in 2011, has posted a 4.31 ERA and 85/32 K/BB ratio in 79 1/3 innings over 18 starts between Class A Burlington and High-A Inland Empire this season. Baseball America ranked him as the Angels’ No. 17 prospect over the winter.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 60
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 32
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)