Aug 7, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT
The Angels announced this evening that they acquired right-handed reliever Vinnie Pestano from the Indians in exchange for minor league right-hander Michael Clevinger. Per Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, Pestano will report to Triple-A Salt Lake.
Pestano was quietly one of the game’s best relievers from 2011-2012, but he has a 4.26 ERA in 50 appearances dating back to the start of last season and has spent the majority of this season in the minors. While his stuff isn’t what it once was, his numbers in Triple-A have been pretty good this year, with a 1.78 ERA, six saves, and 37/12 K/BB ratio over 30 1/3 innings. Perhaps the Angels will catch some lightening in a bottle down the stretch. If not, they’ll likely just non-tender him this offseason.
Clevinger, a fourth-round pick in 2011, has posted a 4.31 ERA and 85/32 K/BB ratio in 79 1/3 innings over 18 starts between Class A Burlington and High-A Inland Empire this season. Baseball America ranked him as the Angels’ No. 17 prospect over the winter.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)