Aug 7, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT
The Angels announced this evening that they acquired right-handed reliever Vinnie Pestano from the Indians in exchange for minor league right-hander Michael Clevinger. Per Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, Pestano will report to Triple-A Salt Lake.
Pestano was quietly one of the game’s best relievers from 2011-2012, but he has a 4.26 ERA in 50 appearances dating back to the start of last season and has spent the majority of this season in the minors. While his stuff isn’t what it once was, his numbers in Triple-A have been pretty good this year, with a 1.78 ERA, six saves, and 37/12 K/BB ratio over 30 1/3 innings. Perhaps the Angels will catch some lightening in a bottle down the stretch. If not, they’ll likely just non-tender him this offseason.
Clevinger, a fourth-round pick in 2011, has posted a 4.31 ERA and 85/32 K/BB ratio in 79 1/3 innings over 18 starts between Class A Burlington and High-A Inland Empire this season. Baseball America ranked him as the Angels’ No. 17 prospect over the winter.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (99)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)