Antonio Bastardo wants the Phillies to trade him: “I should be somewhere else”

Aug 7, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v Colorado Rockies Getty Images

Antonio Bastardo reportedly was drawing plenty of interest leading up to the July 31 trade deadline and seemed like a prime candidate to be moved, but instead the Phillies hung onto the 28-year-old reliever … and now he wants out of Philadelphia anyway.

Last night Ryan Lawrence of the Philadelphia Daily News asked Bastardo if he’d have been better off with a trade to another team and the left-hander actually gave an honest reply:

I don’t know, that’s a good question. I think it could be good for me to stay here, but I think it could be better going somewhere else. We have two young lefties here, and they can do a really good job. A third lefty in the bullpen … I think for my career–for my career–I should be somewhere else.

For my career, it could be way better to be somewhere else. If there was a team interested in me, I could be a part of a team and … help more. Be more in the game, stuff like that. Help them, and it could help me in my career. I’m moving forward not to be a mop-up guy in the game. I just like to be in the [biggest] spot that I can get.

In other words: Bastardo thinks the Phillies have some decent left-handed bullpen options for the future and he’d like to pitch for a contending team in a higher-leverage late-inning role. All of which seems fair, although surely Phillies fans won’t take too kindly to his asking out of Philadelphia.

Bastardo, who has a 3.31 ERA and 259 strikeouts in 201 innings since 2011, is under team control for 2015 and then can become a free agent.

Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $30,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Thursday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on ThursdayHere’s the FanDuel link.

1. floreskins - Aug 7, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Philllies fans agree with Anthony Bastard.

2. jake6881 - Aug 7, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Bye……he has taken up space in the pen for years, with little return until now. Now we are a 60 win team, good luck with your future.

3. 76ersdoubletank - Aug 7, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I’m totally on board for the Phillies trading Bastardo. Up until this year, he has alwasy been inconsistent, and really hasn’t looked like he should be pitching in big moments.

RAJ not trading him makes no real sense, but hey, that’s been the story of the last four years for the Phillies.

The best one is still….lose 1-0 to the Cardinals in the NLDS. Then decide the reason you lost was due to not having a great closer. Go out and set the market for closers by overpaying for one. Proceed to lose more games over the next three years due to a slumping offensive team.

So, if you look at examples like that, I guess the fact he still is here shoudn’t be surprising. Nothing the Phillies do makes much sense at all.

• tmc602014 - Aug 7, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Three years exceeds the length to be called a “slump”

4. pinkfloydprism - Aug 7, 2014 at 11:36 AM

What a bastard! Oh!

5. stupidusername - Aug 7, 2014 at 11:52 AM

He’s absolutely right. He has some of the best value in a trade of any player on the team right now. The only part of the team with any promise is some of the younger arms in the bullpen (although, Diekman is only a year and a half younger). He’s under team control for only 1 more year so it only makes sense to trade him. With the state of the team you’d have to think it would be unlikely he’d resign with the Phillies, and they shouldn’t be handing out contracts right now. They need to get some younger guys under team control for a long time and trading Bastardo would be a good way to accomplish that.

6. schmedley69 - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:09 PM

It would have helped if he didn’t give up a Grand Slam and a 3-Run homer in his last two appearances before the trade deadline.

7. pourman - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Careful what you wish for. Good situational pitcher but plagued by inconsistency. Might flourish in another system, but other teams may not be as patient as the Phillies (to a fault). May wish yourself right out of baseball.

8. jake6881 - Aug 7, 2014 at 4:44 PM

If anyone thinks this guy would have turned it around if the games meant something more then trying not to be the worst team in the league, hasn’t watch Mr walk the lead off batter pitch before this year.

9. 18thstreet - Aug 7, 2014 at 5:19 PM

I don’t often criticize the writers around here. I think they do a great job, which is why I keep coming back.

But the headline and the quote aren’t remotely the same. The headline makes him sound like a jackass. The quote is thoughtful and considered.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2943)