Aug 7, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
UPDATE: Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that a CT scan came back negative, but that Jennings has been diagnosed with a concussion. He will stay overnight at the hospital for observation.
10:30 p.m. ET: Joe Frisaro of MLB.com passes along word that Jennings has been taken to an area hospital for further evaluation.
9:48 p.m. ET: Scary moment tonight in Pittsburgh, as Marlins left-hander Dan Jennings was hit in the left side of his head by a line drive off the bat of Pirates shortstop Jordy Mercer in the bottom of the seventh inning. The video is here.
Jennings never lost consciousness after he was hit by the ball, but he immediately appeared dazed and struggled to gain his balance. He was eventually carted off the field and received a standing ovation from the crowd at PNC Park. Jennings acknowledged the crowd by raising his hand, which was nice to see.
Jennings will surely be sent for a battery of tests, so we’ll pass along an update when it’s made available by the team. Here’s hoping for the best.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)