Aug 7, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
UPDATE: Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that a CT scan came back negative, but that Jennings has been diagnosed with a concussion. He will stay overnight at the hospital for observation.
10:30 p.m. ET: Joe Frisaro of MLB.com passes along word that Jennings has been taken to an area hospital for further evaluation.
9:48 p.m. ET: Scary moment tonight in Pittsburgh, as Marlins left-hander Dan Jennings was hit in the left side of his head by a line drive off the bat of Pirates shortstop Jordy Mercer in the bottom of the seventh inning. The video is here.
Jennings never lost consciousness after he was hit by the ball, but he immediately appeared dazed and struggled to gain his balance. He was eventually carted off the field and received a standing ovation from the crowd at PNC Park. Jennings acknowledged the crowd by raising his hand, which was nice to see.
Jennings will surely be sent for a battery of tests, so we’ll pass along an update when it’s made available by the team. Here’s hoping for the best.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)