Aug 7, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
UPDATE: Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that a CT scan came back negative, but that Jennings has been diagnosed with a concussion. He will stay overnight at the hospital for observation.
10:30 p.m. ET: Joe Frisaro of MLB.com passes along word that Jennings has been taken to an area hospital for further evaluation.
9:48 p.m. ET: Scary moment tonight in Pittsburgh, as Marlins left-hander Dan Jennings was hit in the left side of his head by a line drive off the bat of Pirates shortstop Jordy Mercer in the bottom of the seventh inning. The video is here.
Jennings never lost consciousness after he was hit by the ball, but he immediately appeared dazed and struggled to gain his balance. He was eventually carted off the field and received a standing ovation from the crowd at PNC Park. Jennings acknowledged the crowd by raising his hand, which was nice to see.
Jennings will surely be sent for a battery of tests, so we’ll pass along an update when it’s made available by the team. Here’s hoping for the best.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)