Aug 7, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
UPDATE: Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that a CT scan came back negative, but that Jennings has been diagnosed with a concussion. He will stay overnight at the hospital for observation.
10:30 p.m. ET: Joe Frisaro of MLB.com passes along word that Jennings has been taken to an area hospital for further evaluation.
9:48 p.m. ET: Scary moment tonight in Pittsburgh, as Marlins left-hander Dan Jennings was hit in the left side of his head by a line drive off the bat of Pirates shortstop Jordy Mercer in the bottom of the seventh inning. The video is here.
Jennings never lost consciousness after he was hit by the ball, but he immediately appeared dazed and struggled to gain his balance. He was eventually carted off the field and received a standing ovation from the crowd at PNC Park. Jennings acknowledged the crowd by raising his hand, which was nice to see.
Jennings will surely be sent for a battery of tests, so we’ll pass along an update when it’s made available by the team. Here’s hoping for the best.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 76
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)