Aug 7, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
UPDATE: Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that a CT scan came back negative, but that Jennings has been diagnosed with a concussion. He will stay overnight at the hospital for observation.
10:30 p.m. ET: Joe Frisaro of MLB.com passes along word that Jennings has been taken to an area hospital for further evaluation.
9:48 p.m. ET: Scary moment tonight in Pittsburgh, as Marlins left-hander Dan Jennings was hit in the left side of his head by a line drive off the bat of Pirates shortstop Jordy Mercer in the bottom of the seventh inning. The video is here.
Jennings never lost consciousness after he was hit by the ball, but he immediately appeared dazed and struggled to gain his balance. He was eventually carted off the field and received a standing ovation from the crowd at PNC Park. Jennings acknowledged the crowd by raising his hand, which was nice to see.
Jennings will surely be sent for a battery of tests, so we’ll pass along an update when it’s made available by the team. Here’s hoping for the best.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)