David Wright is a mess

Aug 7, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT

David Wright Getty Images

David Wright is having an awful season. He’s hitting .270/.328/.385 — so far his worst season as a major leaguer — and there have been no signs of coming out of it. He tells John Harper of the Daily News what’s been going wrong:

“I’ve made some mistakes this year, revamping some things with my swing that I probably shouldn’t mess with . . . Instead of realizing there are going to be times during the season when you’re going to have a hiccup and you need to ride it out, I was too quick to make adjustments, and you get to the point where you can’t remember what it felt like when you were going good.”

In other news, I assume based on that quote that the Mets hitting coach position is vacant. Forward your resumes to Sandy Alderson if you’re qualified.

In even other news, when my kids were toddlers, this was their favorite song. And reading this story put it in my head:

Good luck getting rid of that one.

1. drewsylvania - Aug 7, 2014 at 11:35 AM
  2. pjmitch - Aug 7, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Yet a few weeks ago there were postings about him being a Hall of Famer??

3. mybrunoblog - Aug 7, 2014 at 11:57 AM

The Mets organization could seems to screw up everything in their path. David Wright is just another casualty.

• thebadguyswon - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Yeah. Absolutely. It’s all the Mets fault. Not a prolonged slump by a great ballplayer. That’s never happened before.

• mybrunoblog - Aug 7, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Let’s see. No real protection in the lineup, probably a half dozen different batting coaching during his career, poor medical staff, unstable franchise that needs to borrow money to stay afloat, fan malaise for years, ballpark dimensions that hurt his style of hitting. Nah, it’s not the Mets fault!

4. mplsjoe - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Laurie Berkner put on the best live show I saw last year.

5. stoutfiles - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:44 PM

He’s a mess, but he’s also 31 and not getting any younger. These numbers are going to start being the norm, not an outlier.

• epi44 - Aug 7, 2014 at 4:37 PM

It’d probably be more alarming if he was getting younger. There wouldn’t be a whole lot to go on there. Did Benjamin Button play baseball?

6. yahmule - Aug 7, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Must have been good times when that one was on heavy rotation.

7. scoops1 - Aug 7, 2014 at 1:13 PM

I think he hit his boiling point when he received a WB Mason toy truck with a Phillies logo on it

8. Jason @ IIATMS - Aug 7, 2014 at 1:18 PM

I’m not hitting play on Lori Berkner. It’s taken me YEARS to get that crap out of my head.

F-U, Victor Vito.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 7, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Yeah…I am already regretting it Jason. I hesitated when I saw her. But yet…I let it play anyway.
      Stupid…stupid…stupid.

9. thenaturalmevs - Aug 7, 2014 at 4:07 PM

He’s crashing around in the waves a bit

10. jfk69 - Aug 7, 2014 at 7:27 PM

And Murphy is the one constant hitter and always deemed as trade bait. I would have traded Wright and moved Murphy back to his original position…Third base.
    I am so sick of hearing excuses every year when Wright goes into his seasonal funk.
    The fences need to be moved in. He has no protection in the line up. He is playing with an injury. BLA BLA BLA.
    He is no Tom Seaver. And if he is the face of the Mets. Then it is time for a facelift. Instead of another round of excuses.

• pbj72 - Aug 8, 2014 at 12:46 AM

This year he has been good and a bit less streaky than normal, but Murphy is generally a pretty streaky hitter himself. Part of why he generally ended up being a .730 OPS guy the previous couple years despite a bunch of red hot streaks (like the one he’s in now).

Murphy has been the better player this year, but typically Wright has vastly outproduced him. Murph’s “great” year this year would still be considered a “funk” for Wright.

• jfk69 - Aug 8, 2014 at 9:45 AM

murphy 6 years
        avg 292…opb 336…slg 426..ops 762
        wright..11 yrs
        avg..299..opb 378..slg 497..ops 875
        How much is wright being paid again 8 yrs 138 million
        murphy 5.8 million and under team control

• pbj72 - Aug 11, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Yeah and those numbers just prove the point I was making. Wright has been a much better player. Over 100 point difference in OPS between the two…that’s not close. (Wright plays better defense as well..though that’s a lesser issue).

This is the only season Wright has posted an OPS below Murph’s career .762 OPS. Those numbers you posted are a big part of the reason Wright makes more money than Murph. Murph isn’t due for free agency until the end of next year…so that’s also part of the reason as well..but if he was putting up an OPS around .900 like Wright has…he’d be making a lot more than 5.8 mil.

1. M. Morse (2232)