Aug 7, 2014, 10:05 PM EST
Rookie slugger George Springer was forced to exit a minor league rehab game with Low-A Quad Cities last night after he aggravated his left quad strain, but Astros manager Bo Porter told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com earlier this evening that the setback is considered minor.
Springer hasn’t played in the majors since July 19. The initial plan called for him to complete three minor league rehab games before being activated tomorrow, but that’s no guarantee now. The 24-year-old outfielder will examined by the team training staff tomorrow at Minute Maid Park before the Astros decide how to proceed.
“He was going to have a day off regardless,” Porter said before Thursday’s series finale vs. the Phillies. “Obviously, with him having to come out of the game yesterday, we’ll send him through a workout [Friday] and see how he recovers, and if he doesn’t have any setbacks, we’ll make a decision at that point whether to activate him or give him more time.”
Springer has provided plenty of excitement for Astros fans since his major league debut in mid-April, compiling 20 home runs and an .804 OPS over 78 games.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)