Aug 7, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Gerrit Cole struggled Tuesday in his second minor-league rehab start at Triple-A, so the Pirates will have the 23-year-old right-hander make at least one more appearance in the minors before returning from a strained lat muscle.
Cole gave up five runs on 10 hits in 4.2 innings, but manager Clint Hurdle spun things in a less negative light by saying that he was told to focus on repeating his delivery rather than getting batters out. Of course, it’d be more encouraging if Cole were able to do both at the same time.
That second rehab start had actually been pushed back, so clearly something isn’t quite right with Cole. If he struggles again in his third start, it might be time for Pirates fans to worry about what’s going on, exactly.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 171
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (172)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)