Aug 7, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Gerrit Cole struggled Tuesday in his second minor-league rehab start at Triple-A, so the Pirates will have the 23-year-old right-hander make at least one more appearance in the minors before returning from a strained lat muscle.
Cole gave up five runs on 10 hits in 4.2 innings, but manager Clint Hurdle spun things in a less negative light by saying that he was told to focus on repeating his delivery rather than getting batters out. Of course, it’d be more encouraging if Cole were able to do both at the same time.
That second rehab start had actually been pushed back, so clearly something isn’t quite right with Cole. If he struggles again in his third start, it might be time for Pirates fans to worry about what’s going on, exactly.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (143)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)