Aug 7, 2014, 11:45 AM EST
Pat Neshek has bounced around since being waived by the Twins in 2011 and went from an injured question mark to making his first All-Star team this season at age 33 for the Cardinals, so not surprisingly the impending free agent is interested in staying in St. Louis.
Neshek is 5-0 with a 0.78 ERA and 49/6 K/BB ratio in 46 innings and he’s two months from hitting the open market for the first sizable payday of his career, but the side-arming reliever told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch: “I just really like it here.”
Now, plenty of impending free agents say stuff like during the season only to sign elsewhere once the offseason money starts flying around, but Neshek continued:
I like how I’m being used. That’s a big part of it. That’s the feeling I have. That’s one of the main things. I feel like I pitch really well at Busch Stadium. I think that would be good for my career, right? I think about it. I think about it and what if my arm falls off tomorrow? You do want that security of knowing. That’s why it would be nice to get something worked out. If you get to free agency, it will work itself out.
As a fellow Minnesotan and Twins fan I’ve always rooted for Neshek, so it’d be nice to see him ink a two- or three-year deal that’s reasonable for both sides and makes him happy/rich.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)