Impending free agent All-Star Pat Neshek wants to stay with the Cardinals

Aug 7, 2014, 11:45 AM EST

pat neshek getty Getty Images

Pat Neshek has bounced around since being waived by the Twins in 2011 and went from an injured question mark to making his first All-Star team this season at age 33 for the Cardinals, so not surprisingly the impending free agent is interested in staying in St. Louis.

Neshek is 5-0 with a 0.78 ERA and 49/6 K/BB ratio in 46 innings and he’s two months from hitting the open market for the first sizable payday of his career, but the side-arming reliever told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch: “I just really like it here.”

Now, plenty of impending free agents say stuff like during the season only to sign elsewhere once the offseason money starts flying around, but Neshek continued:

I like how I’m being used. That’s a big part of it. That’s the feeling I have. That’s one of the main things. I feel like I pitch really well at Busch Stadium. I think that would be good for my career, right? I think about it. I think about it and what if my arm falls off tomorrow? You do want that security of knowing. That’s why it would be nice to get something worked out. If you get to free agency, it will work itself out.

As a fellow Minnesotan and Twins fan I’ve always rooted for Neshek, so it’d be nice to see him ink a two- or three-year deal that’s reasonable for both sides and makes him happy/rich.

1. wannabeGM - Aug 7, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Reblogged this on stlcardinalsminimo and commented:
    Good news from Neshek

2. fearlessleader - Aug 7, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Neshek has been the Cardinals’ quiet MVP, best bargain, and number-one feel-good story this year. I hope Mozeliak pays him to stick around, especially since the Cards may need him as a closer after Mike Matheny finally succeeds in making Trevor Rosenthal’s arm fall off.

• beepbeepbeeplgb - Aug 7, 2014 at 11:59 AM

lol, at first i thought u were going w/ the ” he needs to replace rosenthal”, but you went the blame Matheny route instead. i like it. speaking of, last night was a joke. no need to bring trevor in there. i never get that, maness comes in and gets a dp. let’s take him out and bring in the closer!

• bfunk1978 - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:35 PM

It’s like Matheny is trying to buy Rosenthal a gift, and that gift is TJ or rotator cuff surgery.

• fearlessleader - Aug 7, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Totally. Was just ranting about that if you want to read it: http://ablogoftheirown.wordpress.com/2014/08/07/we-need-to-talk-about-trevor/

• bfunk1978 - Aug 7, 2014 at 3:11 PM

I don’t, but thanks for the offer. ;)

3. 78mu - Aug 7, 2014 at 1:50 PM

The Cardinals rarely overpay for relief pitchers, even closers. In 2006 and 2011 they finished the year with replacement closers. I hope he’s not looking for a Papelbon contract or else he’ll be pitching somewhere else next year.

• Paper Lions - Aug 7, 2014 at 2:15 PM

He’s not delusional, and he seems keenly aware that how he is used will affect his efficacy. I would think that he’d be ecstatic with 2 years and $10M, but I don’t know that StL would offer that.

4. missingdiz - Aug 7, 2014 at 2:21 PM

He’s been great. So I hope they can work something out–but 2 yrs. max. There’s his age, injury possibility (which of course is always there), but also the tendency for relievers to be really good for a while and then just lose it with no explanation (Boggs, Mujica, Salas–off the top of my head).

5. dcbear90 - Aug 7, 2014 at 2:42 PM

He has been nails this year but Mo won’t overpay for a setup guy. Hopefully, they can reach a deal that’s good for both sides.

6. gibbyfan - Aug 7, 2014 at 2:43 PM

One way or another, I’m sure MO will weigh all the variables and do the right thing……His record has been pretty outstanding so far.

7. SocraticGadfly - Aug 7, 2014 at 4:53 PM

I’m cool with it. Per next year, Motte is NOT coming back at $9M, and probably not at all, Ellis isn’t coming back. That’s $13M in contract money to resign him, start Lynn’s arbitration clock and other things.

8. sfm073 - Aug 7, 2014 at 5:06 PM

The cardinals don’t make a habit of resigning relievers so he better be prepared to take less than what he would get on the open market.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4672)
  2. M. Kemp (3720)
  3. M. Cabrera (2919)
  4. J. Kang (2723)
  5. M. Morse (2607)
  1. J. Upton (2600)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2265)
  3. A. Rios (2261)