Aug 7, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Pat Neshek has bounced around since being waived by the Twins in 2011 and went from an injured question mark to making his first All-Star team this season at age 33 for the Cardinals, so not surprisingly the impending free agent is interested in staying in St. Louis.
Neshek is 5-0 with a 0.78 ERA and 49/6 K/BB ratio in 46 innings and he’s two months from hitting the open market for the first sizable payday of his career, but the side-arming reliever told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch: “I just really like it here.”
Now, plenty of impending free agents say stuff like during the season only to sign elsewhere once the offseason money starts flying around, but Neshek continued:
I like how I’m being used. That’s a big part of it. That’s the feeling I have. That’s one of the main things. I feel like I pitch really well at Busch Stadium. I think that would be good for my career, right? I think about it. I think about it and what if my arm falls off tomorrow? You do want that security of knowing. That’s why it would be nice to get something worked out. If you get to free agency, it will work itself out.
As a fellow Minnesotan and Twins fan I’ve always rooted for Neshek, so it’d be nice to see him ink a two- or three-year deal that’s reasonable for both sides and makes him happy/rich.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)