Mark McGwire remembers the 1984 Olympic baseball team

Aug 7, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT

Olympic Flag

Over at NBC OlympicTalk, Nick Zaccardi interviews Dodgers hitting coach Mark McGwire — and goes back over some of McGwire’s older interviews — to tell the story of baseball’s debut as an Olympic sport in Los Angeles in 1984.

It was a demonstration sport then, but Topps made some memorable baseball cards out of it all and there were a lot of big names on that squad for the United States. So many, in fact, that future Hall of Famer Barry Larkin was a bench warmer. And with McGwire playing first base, Will Clark was pressed into duty in the outfield. Imagine everyone’s surprise, then, that the U.S. didn’t win the gold.

The good stuff there are McGwire’s anecdotes, from the funny story behind his Olympic baseball card to some thoughts on whether, if he had it to do over again, he’d still have joined up for the U.S. team.

1. tfbuckfutter - Aug 7, 2014 at 10:31 AM

I bought that card at the local card shop for $1 in 1997.

It got more valuable pretty quickly.

I bet I couldn’t get $1 for it now though.

• yahmule - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Yeah, his memorabilia is cheap npw. Of course, all sports cards from 1997 are worth less today. I remember dumbasses paying over $30K for Jordan “gem mint” rookie cards.

And then there was this chump:

Linsanity indeed.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:51 PM

God it was fun collecting cards just when the market started getting saturated.

I like to go through my old “good” cards and laugh at how much my Jose Guillen Bowman’s Best RC was worth.

Oh well….at least I still got my Beanie Baby retirement fund.

• yahmule - Aug 7, 2014 at 1:10 PM

My baseball card and comic collections have fluctuated wildly in value, too. Sometimes I look at all the boxes that dominate one of our spare bedrooms and fantasize that a genie would magically appear and offer me high book value for everything.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 7, 2014 at 1:14 PM

My mom: “Why do you keep all those boxes of cards?”
        Me: “Mom…those are my commons. Each one of those boxes has 20 smaller boxes each with 500 cards in them. And those are worth 5 cents apiece. If our house burns down that’s where all our sweet insurance money is coming from. And that’s not even counting my card that has a piece of Drew Bledsoe’s helmet in it. DREW. BLEDSOE.”
        My mom: “You’re never going to touch a boob.”

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 7, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Oh man, I wish instead of the Bledsoe helmet card I had gone with the Elite Series card I specifically went out of my way to get because its serial number was 00069/10,000

One of a kind.

• yahmule - Aug 7, 2014 at 1:37 PM

I’m toying with the idea of a buying an Andre Dawson relic card because its number 10/10 and I’m obviously still a big dork who places an odd value on money. I have touched boobs, though. Always two at a time.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 7, 2014 at 1:52 PM

One I have that is kind of cool, at least in my opinion, is an Al Kaline autographed and numbered card which is 1980/2000

And that happens to be his HOF year.

• raysfan1 - Aug 7, 2014 at 1:28 PM

If it’s near mint, it’s worth around $15.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 7, 2014 at 1:32 PM

I’ll sell it to you right now for $13.50.

• raysfan1 - Aug 7, 2014 at 1:58 PM

I got one when it was $1 too, sorry. There’s always eBay. I’ve still got several thousand “commons” from my wasteful youth too that I still have only because I am too much of a hoarder to countenance just chucking them. That’s not counting the fact I managed to complete every set Topps printed from 1970-1979.

• raysfan1 - Aug 7, 2014 at 2:00 PM

It’s an illness.

2. 49faithful - Aug 7, 2014 at 10:51 AM

I am surprised he wants to talk about it..

3. clownsfan - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Fnck Mark McGwire

4. randomjoeblow - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:20 PM

‘We were juiced out of our minds’, McGwire remembers. ‘I don’t know how we lost to Japan. They probably had better illegal stuff than we did.’

• Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Ha!

Dopers! The only illegal stuffs we have in our belts are the spirit of Enatsu-sama and KAMIIII !!

骄傲骄傲骄傲!! :-)