Aug 7, 2014, 8:29 AM EDT
The Dodgers have been doing something silly this year. Fun silly. The kind of silly that, if you’re not invested in the opposing team’s fortunes, probably makes you smile. They’ve had a little battery-powered bubble machine in the dugout and someone turns it on and they do little dances when they hit home runs.
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports, however, that Major League Baseball has told the Dodgers to cut it out:
Before Tuesday’s game against the Angels at Dodger Stadium, Joe Torre, Major League Baseball executive vice president, advised the Dodgers to stop using the machine . . . The bubble machine was back Wednesday, at Angel Stadium . . . Did the Dodgers negotiate a compromise with MLB, or did they unilaterally decide to bring back the bubble machine?
No one is giving any comment about it, Shaikin says, so it’s unclear whether Joe Torre relented or whether the Dodgers are being bubble-blowing badboys.
I hope MLB relented here, because as far as home run celebrations go, this is pretty darn tame. It’s off-the-field for one thing. It’s not taunting anyone. In an age where fireworks go off, complicated handshakes and gestures are flashed and music is blared through the ballpark at ear-splitting levels every time a home team player hits a homer, I’m not sure what would possess anyone to target a child’s bubble machine.
This game is fun, people. Let’s have some fun out there.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)