Aug 7, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Brett Lawrie missed six weeks with a broken right index finger, came off the disabled list to rejoin the Blue Jays’ lineup Tuesday … and is now returning to the DL after suffering a strained oblique muscle in his first game back.
Oblique strains tend to linger, so don’t expect to see Lawrie again until September. Which likely means he’ll play fewer than 100 games this season after playing 107 games last year and 125 games in 2012.
Lawrie hit .293 with a .953 OPS in his 43-game debut as a 21-year-old in 2011, but since then he’s hit a combined .261 with a .721 OPS in 302 games.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 38
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (102)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)