Aug 7, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Brett Lawrie missed six weeks with a broken right index finger, came off the disabled list to rejoin the Blue Jays’ lineup Tuesday … and is now returning to the DL after suffering a strained oblique muscle in his first game back.
Oblique strains tend to linger, so don’t expect to see Lawrie again until September. Which likely means he’ll play fewer than 100 games this season after playing 107 games last year and 125 games in 2012.
Lawrie hit .293 with a .953 OPS in his 43-game debut as a 21-year-old in 2011, but since then he’s hit a combined .261 with a .721 OPS in 302 games.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 7
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)