Aug 7, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Brett Lawrie missed six weeks with a broken right index finger, came off the disabled list to rejoin the Blue Jays’ lineup Tuesday … and is now returning to the DL after suffering a strained oblique muscle in his first game back.
Oblique strains tend to linger, so don’t expect to see Lawrie again until September. Which likely means he’ll play fewer than 100 games this season after playing 107 games last year and 125 games in 2012.
Lawrie hit .293 with a .953 OPS in his 43-game debut as a 21-year-old in 2011, but since then he’s hit a combined .261 with a .721 OPS in 302 games.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 59
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)