Aug 7, 2014, 11:41 PM EDT
As first reported by Mike Missanelli of ESPN 97.5 in Philadelphia and confirmed by Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times, the Cubs were the team who made the claim. The Phillies can now simply pull Hamels back and keep him, give him (and the $100+ million remaining on his contract) away for nothing, or attempt to work out a trade with the Cubs within 48 hours. However, it’s seen as very unlikely that the two sides will agree to a trade.
Wittenmyer was told by a major league source that the Phillies want one of the Cubs’ prized shortstops in a deal for Hamels. Starlin Castro and Javier Baez would have to pass through revocable waivers to be dealt since they are currently on the 40-man roster, so Wittenmyer speculates that Addison Russell would be the centerpiece of a deal. That’s an understandable demand on the part of the Phillies, but the Cubs would likely prefer to sign a top pitcher in free agency rather than give up top prospects for an ace and still have to pay them huge money. On the flip side, the Phillies would surely prefer to shop Hamels to all 29 teams as opposed to just one.
It’s an interesting scenario to contemplate and it never hurts to talk, but look for Hamels to finish this season in a Phillies uniform.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (84)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)