Aug 7, 2014, 6:13 PM EST
We’re one week into August and the major league leader in wins is Brewers right-hander Wily Peralta. That’s right, Wily Peralta.
Peralta held the Giants to one run over 6 2/3 innings this afternoon as part of a 3-1 victory at Miller Park in Milwaukee. In doing so, he became the first pitcher in MLB to reach 14 wins this season.
Peralta struck out a career-high nine batters in the victory. He gave up seven hits and walked one, with the only run scoring on a Hunter Pence RBI single in the fifth inning. That hit from Pence actually tied the game, but the Brewers took the lead back for good in the sixth against Jake Peavy with a ground-rule double from Khris Davis and a sacrifice fly from Mark Reynolds.
Peralta, 25, is now 14-6 with a 3.42 ERA and 108/41 K/BB ratio over 144 2/3 innings this season. Johnny Cueto, Madison Bumgarner, Adam Wainwright, Clayton Kershaw, Rick Porcello, and Max Scherzer are all currently stuck on 13 wins. Weather-permitting, Wainwright could tie Peralta tonight if he beats the Red Sox.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)