Aug 7, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
We’re one week into August and the major league leader in wins is Brewers right-hander Wily Peralta. That’s right, Wily Peralta.
Peralta held the Giants to one run over 6 2/3 innings this afternoon as part of a 3-1 victory at Miller Park in Milwaukee. In doing so, he became the first pitcher in MLB to reach 14 wins this season.
Peralta struck out a career-high nine batters in the victory. He gave up seven hits and walked one, with the only run scoring on a Hunter Pence RBI single in the fifth inning. That hit from Pence actually tied the game, but the Brewers took the lead back for good in the sixth against Jake Peavy with a ground-rule double from Khris Davis and a sacrifice fly from Mark Reynolds.
Peralta, 25, is now 14-6 with a 3.42 ERA and 108/41 K/BB ratio over 144 2/3 innings this season. Johnny Cueto, Madison Bumgarner, Adam Wainwright, Clayton Kershaw, Rick Porcello, and Max Scherzer are all currently stuck on 13 wins. Weather-permitting, Wainwright could tie Peralta tonight if he beats the Red Sox.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 22
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)