Aug 8, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
Mets starter Bartolo Colon won the 200th game of his 17-year career with a strong performance in Philadelphia against the Phillies on Friday night. The right-hander allowed just one run on six hits over eight innings, out-dueling Phillies starter A.J. Burnett. Colon had a chance to win #200 last Sunday, but struggled against the Giants.
The Mets bullpen put Colon’s 200th win in jeopardy with a shaky ninth inning. Lefty Dana Eveland started the inning, allowing a lead-off double to Chase Utley followed by a walk to Ryan Howard. Manager Terry Collins brought in closer Jenrry Mejia, dealing with a calf issue lately, but he was greeted with a Marlon Byrd single to load the bases. Grady Sizemore knocked in a pair with a double off of the right field wall — nearly a game-tying grand slam — to make it 5-3. Carlos Ruiz weakly lined out to right field for the first out, then Cody Asche grounded out to the right side, knocking in a run in the process. Mejia was finally able to get pinch-hitter Reid Brignac to strike out looking to end the game, preserving Colon’s win.
Colon, 41, is the 92nd pitcher to accrue 200 wins over his career. Giants starter Tim Hudson and CC Sabathia of the Yankees are the only other active members of the 200-win club. Blue Jays lefty Mark Buehrle, with 197 wins, will be the next to get his credential into the club, perhaps by the end of this month.
Colon has dominated the Phillies this season. He has gone at least seven innings and gotten the win in all three starts, allowing only four runs in total. On the season, he has an 11-9 record with a 3.97 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, and a 117/20 K/BB ratio in 154 1/3 innings.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 17
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)