Aug 8, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
Mets starter Bartolo Colon won the 200th game of his 17-year career with a strong performance in Philadelphia against the Phillies on Friday night. The right-hander allowed just one run on six hits over eight innings, out-dueling Phillies starter A.J. Burnett. Colon had a chance to win #200 last Sunday, but struggled against the Giants.
The Mets bullpen put Colon’s 200th win in jeopardy with a shaky ninth inning. Lefty Dana Eveland started the inning, allowing a lead-off double to Chase Utley followed by a walk to Ryan Howard. Manager Terry Collins brought in closer Jenrry Mejia, dealing with a calf issue lately, but he was greeted with a Marlon Byrd single to load the bases. Grady Sizemore knocked in a pair with a double off of the right field wall — nearly a game-tying grand slam — to make it 5-3. Carlos Ruiz weakly lined out to right field for the first out, then Cody Asche grounded out to the right side, knocking in a run in the process. Mejia was finally able to get pinch-hitter Reid Brignac to strike out looking to end the game, preserving Colon’s win.
Colon, 41, is the 92nd pitcher to accrue 200 wins over his career. Giants starter Tim Hudson and CC Sabathia of the Yankees are the only other active members of the 200-win club. Blue Jays lefty Mark Buehrle, with 197 wins, will be the next to get his credential into the club, perhaps by the end of this month.
Colon has dominated the Phillies this season. He has gone at least seven innings and gotten the win in all three starts, allowing only four runs in total. On the season, he has an 11-9 record with a 3.97 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, and a 117/20 K/BB ratio in 154 1/3 innings.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 168
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (170)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)