Aug 8, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Carlos Rodon was the third overall pick in June’s draft and the former North Carolina State ace was in rookie-ball as of two weeks ago, but Scott Merkin of MLB.com reports that “there’s a better-than-average chance” the White Sox will promote the 21-year-old left-hander to the majors in September.
However, when asked about that possibility manger Robin Ventura replied:
I’m not even going down that far. We are concerned about what’s going on right here. If they say he’s pitching well enough to come up, then the more the merrier at this point.
Rodon is currently at Single-A and has thrown a grand total of nine professional innings, so “pitching well enough to come up” to Chicago isn’t really a factor yet. However, as Merkin notes the White Sox called up fellow first-round pick/college ace/southpaw Chris Sale shortly after he was drafted in 2010 and used him as a late-inning reliever.
For much of the year Rodon was considered the favorite to go No. 1 overall and he ended up signing for $6.6 million, which is significantly above the slot-recommend amount for the No. 3 pick.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)