Brandon Phillips is cleared to swing a bat

Aug 8, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT

Brandon Phillips Getty Images

Jon Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Brandon Phillips has been cleared to begin swinging a bat. This after a visit with the surgeon who performed the operation on his thumb. This is a bit ahead of schedule for Phillips, who was supposed to miss six weeks.

Phillips is not having a particularly good year, but his absence has been felt on a Reds team that is already missing Joey Votto.

1. chip56 - Aug 8, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Having seen Phillips swing a bat I’m not sure how this helps the Reds.

• ryno1999 - Aug 8, 2014 at 10:17 AM

He’s been taking ground balls already, so if he’s cleared to swing, he’s cleared to play. If you’re trying to say that he’s a step down from Christopher Negron as a player, you’re just a moron or a hater. Either way, troll on loser.

• chip56 - Aug 8, 2014 at 10:35 AM

wah wah wah.

• ryno1999 - Aug 8, 2014 at 10:40 AM

With over 200 less ABs, Phillips is only 39 HR short of Robinson Cano. Yet Cano is revered as a God and Phillips gets called an offensive liability. Don’t get me wrong. Cano is a much better hitter, but let’s not pretend like Phillips is a bum at the plate. He’s been one of the most consistently productive offensive 2nd baseman in MLB.

• chip56 - Aug 8, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Phillips is a good power hitter but not much else (and much of that power can be attributed to playing in a bandbox – something that Cano may take a hit for now that his power has evaporated in Seattle).

Phillips is not only behind Cano at 2b but also Kendrick, Pedroia and (when healthy) Chase Utley just off the top of my head.

• ryno1999 - Aug 8, 2014 at 10:52 AM

If you’re talking career HR, he’s only behind Cano, Utley, and Uggla. And his career .OPS (.746) isn’t that much lower than Kendrick’s (.757) and Pedroia’s (.813). His career SLG% is actually higher than Kendrick’s. What he brings to the table defensively makes up for the lower OBP%. I know this isn’t much of a factor now, but he’s also 5th in career steals for active 2nd baseman. So, you saying that he’s nothing more than a power hitter is just silly.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Aug 8, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Well if you include everything else and not just HRs, we get

Career:
        Cano – .311/.359/.502 – 127 OPS+, 128 wRC+; 1790 H, 402 2b, 213 HR, 886 RBI, 855 R
        Phillips – .272/.319/.427 – 96 OPS+, 96 wRC+; 1498 H, 275 2b, 173 HR, 744 RBI, 766 R

So in roughly 200 more ABs, Cano has 40 pts of BA, 40 pts of OBP, 75 pts of SLG, 30 pts of OPS+/wRC+, almost 300 more H, 125 2b and 40 HR.

That’s why he’s a much better hitter than Phillips.

• ryno1999 - Aug 8, 2014 at 2:36 PM

That’s why I said this above ” Don’t get me wrong. Cano is a much better hitter, but let’s not pretend like Phillips is a bum at the plate.” Nice reading comprehension.

2. ryno1999 - Aug 8, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Phillips doesn’t walk much, but with the walking machine, Votto usually hitting in front of him, that’s really not what the Reds have needed. He’s been the ultimate offensive utility man. The Reds have batted him anywhere from 1-8 in the lineup and he’s adapted to each role and remained relatively successful no matter where he’s penciled in. Sure, there’s been a few other 2nd basemen who have been more consistent throughout their careers, but we’re really talking about a few guys, and none of those are as good defensively. He’s replacing a career minor league batting average of .247 in Kris Negron, not Utley or Cano. Again, you’re just being an idiot. Negron’s been filling in great but getting Philips back will be huge for the Reds.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Aug 8, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Pedroia has been just as good defensively, and is better offensively. Utley is better defensively and far better offensively.

• ryno1999 - Aug 8, 2014 at 2:38 PM

You’ve both mentioned less than 3 players, so thanks for making my point morons. “WE’RE TALKING ABOUT A FEW GUYS”. Do you need a helmet to tie your shoes?

• ryno1999 - Aug 8, 2014 at 2:43 PM

And please- dude you lose all credibility when you say Utley is better defensively. lol…that’s true comedy genius.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Aug 8, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Both bref and fangraphs have Utley rated higher than Phillips. But we’ll just take your word for it…

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 8, 2014 at 12:22 PM

“Sure, there’s been a few other 2nd basemen who have been more consistent throughout their careers, but we’re really talking about a few guys, and none of those are as good defensively.”

Funny stuff Homer. Sure…he is the best defensive 2nd baseman in the NL. I would agree to that. As I have said many, many times…he would be my 1st choice if I could only choose NL 2nd Baseman. Otherwise, he would be behind Pedroia and Cano (in that order). Still great company to be sure. But to say he is the best defensive 2nd baseman in the Baseball leads me to believe you have never seen the Red Sox and Mariners 2nd Basemen play baseball before.

• ryno1999 - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:04 PM

To each their own. You’re certainly one to call someone homer stlouis1baseball. I’m sure you have no negative bias towards Phillips. Anyway, I’d take BP over Cano or Padroia defensively every day of the week. You’re right. I rarely watch the AL (what you do?), but I do watch BT and MLBT and Phillips makes the highlight reels about 100-1 to those guys. Maybe their more solid garden variety defenders, but I’d rather be excited than seeing really solid fundamentals. Just me.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Dude…I told you I would pick “The Mouth” over every NL 2nd Baseman. That alone should squelch any assumed bias you feel I may or may not have. As for the Designated Hitter league…I do occasionally watch. As much as it pangs me to admit! Lol!
        I just love baseball.

3. tyler200829 - Aug 8, 2014 at 2:18 PM

To say Chase Utley is better defensively than Phillips is downright stupid and incorrect on every level. Phillips had a “down” year last year and drive in 100 runs. Nobody will argue he’s a better hitter than Cano or Pedroia, but after those 2, defense included in the equation, I think he’s definitely top 3-5 and not to mention done so much for the franchise. He sells a lot of tickets by the way he interacts with fans. Like him or not you can’t argue that

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Aug 8, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Phillips had a “down” year last year and drive in 100 runs.

It’s easy to drive in 100 runs when the guys in front of you had the following OBPs:

Choo – .423
      Votto – .435

4. sportsfan18 - Aug 8, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Brandon Phillips is average… at BEST…

Thinks he’s much better than he really is too…

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (3015)