Aug 8, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Jon Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Brandon Phillips has been cleared to begin swinging a bat. This after a visit with the surgeon who performed the operation on his thumb. This is a bit ahead of schedule for Phillips, who was supposed to miss six weeks.
Phillips is not having a particularly good year, but his absence has been felt on a Reds team that is already missing Joey Votto.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 113
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (172)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)