Bud Selig releases a statement trying to play down controversy about the selection of his successor

Aug 8, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT

source:

This is an interesting statement, just released from the Commissioner:

“Since discussions began in January about formulating an orderly process for selecting the next Commissioner, I have stated both privately and publicly that my desire was to conduct a thorough, thoughtful and discreet search that includes the input of all 30 Major League Clubs.  The seven-member Succession Committee, which was named on May 15th and has been chaired with distinction by Bill DeWitt, has accomplished this goal while working independently to get to the point we are today.  While Bill has kept me well-informed, the results of this process are a reflection of the Committee’s work alone, and I have not promoted individual candidates.

“As we approach next week’s vote, I will continue to encourage Clubs to voice their opinions within the confines of this process.  Reports of personal animosity between Jerry Reinsdorf and me – or any other alleged disputes between owners regarding the process or the candidates – are unfounded and unproductive.  I respect the ownership of our 30 franchises and have complete faith that the process will produce an individual that all in Baseball will be eager to support.”

It seems kind of telling that he even needs to make that statement. Next week’s selection — if there is one, even — will be most interesting.

1. freedomofspeechyesway - Aug 8, 2014 at 2:46 PM

There are no statements in baseball.

2. El Bravo - Aug 8, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Jerry! You are ON NOTICE!

3. bajamex - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:01 PM

“I will continue to encourage Clubs to voice their opinions within the confines of this process.”

In other words: I do not want anybody to talk about the proccess outside of our group.

4. andreweac - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:06 PM

I guess that makes 2 men who respect Jeff Loria. Things are looking up for Jeff!

5. SocraticGadfly - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Maybe he’s trying to squelch a groundswell for someone outside the three official finalists. Someone like Karen Ng?

6. Bob - Aug 8, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Yeah, Selig hasn’t pushed for a candidate. That’s bullshine. Nothing connected to Bud ever goes off without a good-ol-boy deal that somehow works to Selig’s personal benefit.

7. jfk69 - Aug 9, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Loria or some puppet so that Selig can stay relevant.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS