Aug 8, 2014, 12:03 PM EST
As we mentioned the other day, Cole Hamels was claimed on revocable waivers by the Cubs. The Cubs and Phillies have until some time today to complete a deal or else the Phillies will pull him back off of waivers. Most people think there will be no deal.
But this is still interesting. Because it shows that the Cubs would — if Philly took leave of its senses and let Hamels go on waivers — take on a pitcher owed $100 million right now. Which suggests that, unlike in past offseasons, the Cubs are ready so spend big. Possibly even getting into the bidding wars that are likely to develop around Max Scherzer and Jon Lester. And, after 2015, David Price.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 26
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 281
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (281)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)