Aug 8, 2014, 12:03 PM EST
As we mentioned the other day, Cole Hamels was claimed on revocable waivers by the Cubs. The Cubs and Phillies have until some time today to complete a deal or else the Phillies will pull him back off of waivers. Most people think there will be no deal.
But this is still interesting. Because it shows that the Cubs would — if Philly took leave of its senses and let Hamels go on waivers — take on a pitcher owed $100 million right now. Which suggests that, unlike in past offseasons, the Cubs are ready so spend big. Possibly even getting into the bidding wars that are likely to develop around Max Scherzer and Jon Lester. And, after 2015, David Price.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (223)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)