Aug 8, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
As we mentioned the other day, Cole Hamels was claimed on revocable waivers by the Cubs. The Cubs and Phillies have until some time today to complete a deal or else the Phillies will pull him back off of waivers. Most people think there will be no deal.
But this is still interesting. Because it shows that the Cubs would — if Philly took leave of its senses and let Hamels go on waivers — take on a pitcher owed $100 million right now. Which suggests that, unlike in past offseasons, the Cubs are ready so spend big. Possibly even getting into the bidding wars that are likely to develop around Max Scherzer and Jon Lester. And, after 2015, David Price.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)