Happy 38th anniversary, White Sox uniform with shorts

Aug 8, 2014, 3:00 PM EST

On this date in 1976, this happened:

source:

For the back story about these horrifying uniforms, go here.

I am pretty shocked they’ve never trotted these out as throwbacks, actually.

1. scrot7 - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:02 PM

If Adam Dunn played back then, he would have to duct tape his schlonger to his leg so that it wouldn’t get injured.

• Bob Loblaw - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Why is this so damn funny? It makes no sense, but I simply can not stop laughing at it.

• pete2112 - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:30 PM

I don’t know… I’m trying to get that image out of my head.

• El Bravo - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:41 PM

hahah schlonger

2. lukedunphysscienceproject - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Can you imagine sliding in that outfit?

• Craig Calcaterra - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Bill Veeck actually fielded that first question at the press conference unveiling them. He said “you don’t slide with your knees.” And then made reference to the high socks having padding.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:36 PM

You are far to young to remember a hit song titled “Who Wears Short Shorts?”.

• yahmule - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:17 PM

I remember Chet Lemon sliding in them. It’s not like their standard uniform that year wasn’t a charmless piece of throwback dreck anyway.

• lukedunphysscienceproject - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Yah- I remember their other unis that year. I think they all had that horrible collar. truly atrocious.

Craig- I remember Veeck saying that, too. I was only 10, so I didn’t think much about it. But at 47, a couple of things spring to mind. 1- If you slide headfirst, your knees will certainly hit the ground, and 2) how would you stop those shorts from riding straight up you a** during a normal slide?

3. pete2112 - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:15 PM

I think the White Sox went out of their way to come up with the worst uniforms ever designed. Well Houston would be close second, I suppose.

4. nolanwiffle - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I was 10 years old that summer and remember seeing these on “This Week In Baseball” with Mel Allen. I also distinctly remember muttering to myself, “Those are f***ing awful.”

5. jfk69 - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:34 PM

When Steve Rubell of 54 fame saw these outfits he jumped with glee. And then insisted all bartenders and bar backs wear this look. Just use a t shirt instead.

6. jgillmeister - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:39 PM

With those uniforms as part of their history, is it any wonder the white sox are always considered a clown baseball team.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Bill Veeck was known for his innovations in baseball. He had a long career in the game with several organizations. He’s in the HOF too.

He really thought outside of the box.

Hat tip to Mr. Veeck.

7. baseballlifestyle101 - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Reblogged this on Baseball Lifestyle101.

8. pbastille - Aug 8, 2014 at 4:13 PM

These shouldn’t be throwbacks. They should be throw outs

9. mybrunoblog - Aug 8, 2014 at 5:09 PM

I’ve played softball in shorts. Unless you want sliding raspberries that scar you for years I strongly recommend you don’t slide in shorts. Calcaterra brings up a great point. These would make an awesome one game throwback.

10. 6ball - Aug 8, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Nobody looked more foolish in these uniforms than Lamar Johnson who was about 6’2″ 230. It’s said that the word “dork” was invented at Fenway when Lamar was in the on deck circle bantering with the Red Sox fans.

11. capsboy - Aug 8, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Bucky effin Dent

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4498)