Aug 8, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT
Nick Swisher has not had a very good season, his second as the Indians’ full-time first baseman. He has not only struggled at the plate, but has been hampered by injuries and played poor defense at first. As a result, Indians GM Chris Antonelli suggested Swisher could move back to the outfield next season.
“Just to rewind a little bit . . .the plan coming into this season was for Nick to play a lot of first base. So he prepared in the offseason and spring training to do that and not play a lot outfield.
“Going into next year the plan could be different. Giving him that head’s up and allowing him the offseason to go out and prepare to be an outfielder, come into camp, get the reps in the outfield that will prepare him better for the season.”
Swisher has played some outfield this season, including starts in each of the last two games, but hasn’t played there regularly since 2012, his last season with the Yankees. The 33-year-old will be entering the second year of a four-year, $56 million contract signed with the Indians in December 2012.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (107)