Aug 8, 2014, 9:55 PM EST
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports writes that the Marlins plan to offer a contract extension to outfielder Giancarlo Stanton during the winter, but they aren’t optimistic about their chances. The Marlins tried to get the extension talks rolling last winter, but Stanton wanted to play out the 2014 season before making it a topic of discussion. According to Heyman, Stanton is happier with the Marlins now than when he criticized the club after they traded away Mark Buehrle and Jose Reyes, among others.
Stanton, 24, is earning $6.5 million this season and will be eligible for arbitration two more times before becoming eligible for free agency, sans an extension, in 2017. If the Marlins aren’t able to come to an agreement with their slugger, they’ll have no other choice but to shop him to what will certainly be a horde of interested teams.
Stanton has had an MVP-caliber season, leading the league with 27 home runs and 76 RBI while slashing .289/.389/.546 and stealing 10 bases.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)