Michael Pineda set to rejoin Yankees’ rotation next week

Aug 8, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT

Michael Pineda AP

Michael Pineda hasn’t pitched for the Yankees since getting booted from his April 23 start for having pine tar on his neck, but after a suspension followed by a lengthy disabled list stint for shoulder/back problems he’s finally ready to return.

Roger Rubin of the New York Daily News reports that Pineda is scheduled to rejoin the Yankees’ rotation on August 13 against the Orioles. However, before that happens he’ll need to avoid another setback in a rehab start tonight at Triple-A, where he’s slated to throw around 75 pitches.

Before the suspension and injury Pineda was having a promising comeback, posting a 1.83 ERA and 15/3 K/BB ratio in four starts after missing all of 2012 and all of 2013.

1. pete2112 - Aug 8, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I’m not holding my breath. It would be nice, but he’s yet to be someone you can count on since coming to the Yankees.

2. girardisbraces - Aug 8, 2014 at 1:13 PM

If Pineda comes back and pitches like he was pitching before the pine tar incident and injury, the Yankees’ chances of getting that second wild card, or even catching the O’s and outright winning the division, are markedly improved.

A big “if”, yes, but they’ve hung around long enough to give Pineda the chance to come back and prove he can contribute to an unlikely run!

• pete2112 - Aug 8, 2014 at 1:24 PM

I totally agree and it would go a long with the fans if he were to come back and give them a big push. I’m just sort of done getting my hopes up with him. I hope he proves me wrong though.

• girardisbraces - Aug 8, 2014 at 1:31 PM

I was just making a comment to a friend yesterday…. I’m just watching the games and not getting my hopes up. If they make the playoffs I’ll be pleasantly surprised. But they are finding a way to win lately. (Still don’t like that negative run differential, though!)

• pete2112 - Aug 8, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Exactly. It would be a nice surprise but I’m not expecting it as I just can’t see them getting these types of pitching gems all that often down the stretch. Having said that, I seriously can’t think back in recent memory when they’ve pitched a better three games in a row.

• larrymahnken - Aug 8, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Of course, pitching hasn’t really been the Yankees’ problem – it’s the anemic offense.

• girardisbraces - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:07 PM

As evidenced by their negative run differential, yes. But good pitching beats good hitting, or so I’ve been told. And if it means the pitchers can hold offenses to 1 or 2 runs on a consistent basis, the Yankees have a shot despite spotty offensive output.

Their differential is +7 since the trade deadline, so hopefully things are turning around somewhat.

3. proudlycanadian - Aug 8, 2014 at 1:20 PM

I would be surprised if he finishes the season healthy. He also needs to find an alternative to pine tar.

• pete2112 - Aug 8, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Says the nervous Jays fan.

It should be a fun last month for the two teams.

• girardisbraces - Aug 8, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Yeah, I mean the Jays haven’t been in the playoffs since Kim Campbell was Prime Minister.

(and yeah, I had to look that up.)

• pete2112 - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:49 PM

And the members of Rush were still in their late 30’s/early 40’s.

• jfk69 - Aug 8, 2014 at 2:43 PM

KY JELLY
      Discover how K-Y® Brand intimacy products can help keep your relationship exciting and make those intimate moments even more special.
      Let us help you slip one right in there.

• larrymahnken - Aug 8, 2014 at 2:56 PM

The pine tar was probably used because pitchers can’t get a good grip with rosin in cold weather. Of course he should have been booted from the game, but he’s going to be using rosin in normal weather.

• pete2112 - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Let’s hope so.

• pete2112 - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:48 PM

And the members of Rush were still in their late 30’s/early 40’s.

4. jbriggs81 - Aug 8, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Insert obligatory pine tar joke here

5. jfk69 - Aug 8, 2014 at 2:40 PM

VO5 Extreme .
    Break the mold
    Get a matt finish with texture and definition.
    Added bonus. It dries clear. Unlike that greasy KY

6. bajamex - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:21 PM

My pronostic: his next rehab game goes well but a day later he will feel discomfort and will need to be shutdown for the rest of the season, next year he will go to spring training fat (again), having gained 30 pounds, he will struggle, blame his struggles to his extra weight, then in late march the yankees find he needs surgery and miss all of 2015, thus ending his time with the yankees. Add Michael to the Pavano-Brown list, which also includes Feliciano.

7. ironcurtin64 - Aug 8, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Has there ever been a bigger trade for two players that has taken this long to see who got the better deal? Probably. Better question – who’s the bigger bust?

8. uyf1950 - Aug 8, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Pineda had his final tune up hopefully before being activated before next Wednesday’s O’s game on Aug. 13th. today Friday 8/8. He had a very good outing. Pitched 4 1/3 innings allowed 1 ER with 7 K’s and No Walks. I think we should see him on the big league roster very soon.

Orioles turn AL East on its head