Aug 8, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
Geovany Soto made it just three games between disabled list stints last time, so the Rangers will hope the veteran catcher can stick around on the active roster for a bit longer now.
He returns after missing two weeks with a strained groin and Soto previously missed the first two-plus months of the season following knee surgery.
To make room for Soto on the roster the Rangers designated right-hander Jerome Williams for assignment, cutting him loose after the 32-year-old journeyman allowed 11 runs in 10 innings over two starts.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 34
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)