Aug 8, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
For a while now Minnesotans have been wondering why the Twins haven’t called up 24-year-old pitching prospects Trevor May and Alex Meyer yet. Meyer remains at Triple-A, but Seth Stohs of Twins Daily reports that the Twins will call up May to debut tomorrow against the A’s.
May was acquired from the Phillies in the Ben Revere trade two offseasons ago and repeated Double-A last season before taking a big step forward at Triple-A this year. The hard-throwing right-hander has a 2.93 ERA and 91/37 K/BB ratio in 95 innings, getting his walk rate below 4.0 for the first time in his career.
May isn’t considered an elite prospect–Meyer is the higher-upside arm, long term–but he’s a potential mid-rotation starter and keeping him in the minors to throw nearly 400 innings between Double-A and Triple-A seemed odd considering he’s 45 days from turning 25 years old and the Twins’ rotation has been terrible for years.
He also gets a tough first assignment on the road against an A’s team that has the highest-scoring lineup in all of baseball, but for Twins fans it’ll sure beat watching more of Kris Johnson or Logan Darnell or whichever other non-prospects were options to make the start.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 7
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 31
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 21
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)