Aug 8, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
For a while now Minnesotans have been wondering why the Twins haven’t called up 24-year-old pitching prospects Trevor May and Alex Meyer yet. Meyer remains at Triple-A, but Seth Stohs of Twins Daily reports that the Twins will call up May to debut tomorrow against the A’s.
May was acquired from the Phillies in the Ben Revere trade two offseasons ago and repeated Double-A last season before taking a big step forward at Triple-A this year. The hard-throwing right-hander has a 2.93 ERA and 91/37 K/BB ratio in 95 innings, getting his walk rate below 4.0 for the first time in his career.
May isn’t considered an elite prospect–Meyer is the higher-upside arm, long term–but he’s a potential mid-rotation starter and keeping him in the minors to throw nearly 400 innings between Double-A and Triple-A seemed odd considering he’s 45 days from turning 25 years old and the Twins’ rotation has been terrible for years.
He also gets a tough first assignment on the road against an A’s team that has the highest-scoring lineup in all of baseball, but for Twins fans it’ll sure beat watching more of Kris Johnson or Logan Darnell or whichever other non-prospects were options to make the start.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)