Aug 8, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
For a while now Minnesotans have been wondering why the Twins haven’t called up 24-year-old pitching prospects Trevor May and Alex Meyer yet. Meyer remains at Triple-A, but Seth Stohs of Twins Daily reports that the Twins will call up May to debut tomorrow against the A’s.
May was acquired from the Phillies in the Ben Revere trade two offseasons ago and repeated Double-A last season before taking a big step forward at Triple-A this year. The hard-throwing right-hander has a 2.93 ERA and 91/37 K/BB ratio in 95 innings, getting his walk rate below 4.0 for the first time in his career.
May isn’t considered an elite prospect–Meyer is the higher-upside arm, long term–but he’s a potential mid-rotation starter and keeping him in the minors to throw nearly 400 innings between Double-A and Triple-A seemed odd considering he’s 45 days from turning 25 years old and the Twins’ rotation has been terrible for years.
He also gets a tough first assignment on the road against an A’s team that has the highest-scoring lineup in all of baseball, but for Twins fans it’ll sure beat watching more of Kris Johnson or Logan Darnell or whichever other non-prospects were options to make the start.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 15
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)