Aug 8, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
For a while now Minnesotans have been wondering why the Twins haven’t called up 24-year-old pitching prospects Trevor May and Alex Meyer yet. Meyer remains at Triple-A, but Seth Stohs of Twins Daily reports that the Twins will call up May to debut tomorrow against the A’s.
May was acquired from the Phillies in the Ben Revere trade two offseasons ago and repeated Double-A last season before taking a big step forward at Triple-A this year. The hard-throwing right-hander has a 2.93 ERA and 91/37 K/BB ratio in 95 innings, getting his walk rate below 4.0 for the first time in his career.
May isn’t considered an elite prospect–Meyer is the higher-upside arm, long term–but he’s a potential mid-rotation starter and keeping him in the minors to throw nearly 400 innings between Double-A and Triple-A seemed odd considering he’s 45 days from turning 25 years old and the Twins’ rotation has been terrible for years.
He also gets a tough first assignment on the road against an A’s team that has the highest-scoring lineup in all of baseball, but for Twins fans it’ll sure beat watching more of Kris Johnson or Logan Darnell or whichever other non-prospects were options to make the start.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 0
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 46
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)