Aug 8, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter moved into a tie with Honus Wagner for sixth on baseball’s all-time hits list tonight when he hit a grounder up the middle in the first inning against Indians starter Trevor Bauer. The single is number 3,430 of Jeter’s 20-year career. He would score later in the inning on a Carlos Beltran single. The Yankees hung a five-spot on Bauer.
Jeter will not be moving up to number five on the list, as Tris Speaker owns the spot with 3,514 hits. He would have to average nearly two hits a game for the rest of the season to get there.
On the season, Jeter has a .278/.330/.334 slash line with three home runs, 30 RBI, and eight stolen bases.
- MLB Players React to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 2
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)