Zoo with Roy actually got to go to the zoo with Roy Halladay

Aug 8, 2014, 11:03 AM EST

roy halladay long getty Getty Images

Four years ago a Phillies fan started a blog called “I want to go to the zoo with Roy Halladay,” or as everyone else calls it, “Zoo with Roy.” The idea was pretty simple: Roy Halladay is awesome, and it would be awesome to go to the zoo with him. The implied joke was that Roy Halladay was so crazy-intense a player that he’s not exactly the type of guy who would just go off to the zoo with some random blogger.

But things do change. ZWR expanded from that amusing little joke into a cool Phillies blog and Twitter presence. And Roy Halladay, as we noted a while back, has totally mellowed out in his retirement and actually seems like a lot of fun. Which leads to something simultaneously shocking and inevitable:

Read ZWR’s story about his trip the zoo with Roy Halladay here. And realize that, yes kids, dreams do come true.

1. jaysfan64 - Aug 8, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Kudos to Doc – a good sport and a class act who truly wants to give back to the fans and communities that supported him where he played….

Bravo….

2. randygnyc - Aug 8, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Mad respect for the Doc. I tip my hat to you, Mr. Roy Halladay!!

3. Dan Camponovo - Aug 8, 2014 at 2:18 PM

aside from calling ZWR’s bolg a “blog,” this post brought a smile to my face.

• Craig Calcaterra - Aug 8, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Dammit. My bad.

4. bajamex - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:26 PM

I am gonna start a blog called “Daily sex with Kate Upton” and see if it catches her eye, i will just hope that my girlfriend does not find out about the blog.

• cardinalcrazy - Aug 8, 2014 at 6:09 PM

I think this is exactly how Justin Verlander landed Kate Upton, that along with the $180 million other reasons.

5. nothanksimdriving123 - Aug 8, 2014 at 4:05 PM

A major motion picture about this is already in the works. Matt Damon and Scarlett Johansson are on board for “We Bought Tickets For a Zoo”.

6. Uncle Charlie - Aug 8, 2014 at 4:58 PM

I miss Halladay.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4610)