Aug 9, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Cashner, out since June 23 with right shoulder soreness, allowed one hit and no walks while striking out three batters. He threw 19 out of 24 pitches for strikes. Jeff Sanders of U-T San Diego reports that he’s expected to make two more starts in the minors, with the next coming Wednesday with Double-A El Paso. The hope is that he’ll get stretched out to around 75-8o pitches before making his return.
Cashner, 27, owns a 2.36 ERA and 59/22 K/BB ratio in 76 1/3 innings over 12 starts this season. He’s under team control for two more seasons, so it will be interesting if new general manager A.J. Preller considers dealing him during the offseason. Proving his health and effectiveness down the stretch would increase the asking price.
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 17
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 20
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 35
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 19
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)