Aug 9, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Thanks to a walk-off RBI double from Nolan Reimold, the Blue Jays secured a thrilling 3-2 victory in 10 innings this afternoon at Rogers Centre in Toronto.
This afternoon featured quite the pitchers’ duel between Blue Jays rookie right-hander Marcus Stroman and Tigers right-hander Max Scherzer. Stroman allowed two runs over a career-high nine innings while Scherzer struck out 11 batters over eight innings. Scherzer left in line for his 14th victory of the season, but Joe Nathan allowed a leadoff single to Jose Reyes to begin the bottom of the ninth inning. Reyes then stole second base before Nathan got Melky Cabrera to fly out. After an intentional walk was issued to Jose Bautista, Nathan gave up a game-tying single to Dioner Navarro to blow his sixth save of the season.
Nathan got himself into further trouble when he walked Colby Rasmus to load the bases, but Joakim Soria replaced him and managed to get the final two outs to wiggle out of the jam. After Aaron Loup sat down the Tigers with a scoreless tenth inning, Soria was unable to continue due to an injury. Joba Chamberlain then gave up an infield single to Danny Valencia and the game-winning double to Reimold to end it. Disastrous afternoon complete.
This series has already seen quite a bit of late-inning drama, as the Tigers rallied for three runs in the ninth inning last night against Casey Janssen to secure a comeback victory. The two teams will wrap up the series tomorrow, with David Price making his second start for Detroit while Toronto counters with veteran left-hander Mark Buehrle.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 2
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)