Aug 9, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Thanks to a walk-off RBI double from Nolan Reimold, the Blue Jays secured a thrilling 3-2 victory in 10 innings this afternoon at Rogers Centre in Toronto.
This afternoon featured quite the pitchers’ duel between Blue Jays rookie right-hander Marcus Stroman and Tigers right-hander Max Scherzer. Stroman allowed two runs over a career-high nine innings while Scherzer struck out 11 batters over eight innings. Scherzer left in line for his 14th victory of the season, but Joe Nathan allowed a leadoff single to Jose Reyes to begin the bottom of the ninth inning. Reyes then stole second base before Nathan got Melky Cabrera to fly out. After an intentional walk was issued to Jose Bautista, Nathan gave up a game-tying single to Dioner Navarro to blow his sixth save of the season.
Nathan got himself into further trouble when he walked Colby Rasmus to load the bases, but Joakim Soria replaced him and managed to get the final two outs to wiggle out of the jam. After Aaron Loup sat down the Tigers with a scoreless tenth inning, Soria was unable to continue due to an injury. Joba Chamberlain then gave up an infield single to Danny Valencia and the game-winning double to Reimold to end it. Disastrous afternoon complete.
This series has already seen quite a bit of late-inning drama, as the Tigers rallied for three runs in the ninth inning last night against Casey Janssen to secure a comeback victory. The two teams will wrap up the series tomorrow, with David Price making his second start for Detroit while Toronto counters with veteran left-hander Mark Buehrle.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 21
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)