Aug 9, 2014, 4:26 PM EST
Thanks to a walk-off RBI double from Nolan Reimold, the Blue Jays secured a thrilling 3-2 victory in 10 innings this afternoon at Rogers Centre in Toronto.
This afternoon featured quite the pitchers’ duel between Blue Jays rookie right-hander Marcus Stroman and Tigers right-hander Max Scherzer. Stroman allowed two runs over a career-high nine innings while Scherzer struck out 11 batters over eight innings. Scherzer left in line for his 14th victory of the season, but Joe Nathan allowed a leadoff single to Jose Reyes to begin the bottom of the ninth inning. Reyes then stole second base before Nathan got Melky Cabrera to fly out. After an intentional walk was issued to Jose Bautista, Nathan gave up a game-tying single to Dioner Navarro to blow his sixth save of the season.
Nathan got himself into further trouble when he walked Colby Rasmus to load the bases, but Joakim Soria replaced him and managed to get the final two outs to wiggle out of the jam. After Aaron Loup sat down the Tigers with a scoreless tenth inning, Soria was unable to continue due to an injury. Joba Chamberlain then gave up an infield single to Danny Valencia and the game-winning double to Reimold to end it. Disastrous afternoon complete.
This series has already seen quite a bit of late-inning drama, as the Tigers rallied for three runs in the ninth inning last night against Casey Janssen to secure a comeback victory. The two teams will wrap up the series tomorrow, with David Price making his second start for Detroit while Toronto counters with veteran left-hander Mark Buehrle.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:05 PM EST
Gwynn will function as insurance with Jayson Werth and Nate McLouth each rehabbing from shoulder surgery.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:01 PM EST
Mueller died at the age of 26 last month while in captivity in Syria.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:58 PM EST
The Mets cut back on defensive shifts with Wheeler on the mound last season because of his concerns.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:45 PM EST
Some key players are making some encouraging strides on the health front.
Mar 2, 2015, 6:29 PM EST
After facing a pitching machine during an intrasquad game today, Alex Rodriguez is ready for his first real-live game action since September of 2013.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:12 PM EST
Seems a bit light as far as these things go.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:26 PM EST
Trammell and Whitaker in Detroit? Carter and Hernandez with the Mets?
Mar 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EST
Lester joined the Cubs on a six-year, $155 million deal in December.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:45 PM EST
Don’t. Praise. The. Machine.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:48 PM EST
Hart is attempting to resurrect his career on a one-year deal as a part-timer in Pittsburgh.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:27 PM EST
Shocking, I know.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:50 AM EST
GM says “they’re not going to play him for a little while.”
Mar 2, 2015, 11:33 AM EST
Howard Johnson is right!
Mar 2, 2015, 11:19 AM EST
Detroit owes him $28 million per season through 2019.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:09 AM EST
It happened to Wynton Bernard anyway.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:47 AM EST
Since shifting to the bullpen full time in 2011 the Minnesota native has a 2.74 ERA and 286/63 K/BB ratio in 256 innings.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
Axford had a 3.92 ERA and 63/36 K/BB ratio in 55 innings for the Indians last season.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:03 AM EST
At least one columnist thinks this is a big problem. Is it?
Mar 2, 2015, 9:15 AM EST
Patrick Dubuque of The Hardball Times mounts an in-depth study of the Peanuts’ Gang’s manager.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:17 AM EST
The lives of a couple of “Moneyball” players serves as a jumping off point for a good Monday morning rant.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)