UPDATE: Yankees place Brian McCann on 7-day concussion disabled list

Aug 9, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT

Brian McCann Getty Getty Images

UPDATE: Brian McCann has been placed on the 7-day concussion disabled list. The Yankees have recalled Austin Romine from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to take his place on the active roster.

The Yankees have also announced the unconditional release of second baseman Brian Roberts, who was recently designated for assignment.

9:31 a.m. ET: Yankees catcher Brian McCann suffered what’s being termed as a “mild concussion” after he was hit in the mask by a foul tip in the third inning last night against the Indians.

McCann stayed in the game initially, but he was lifted for a pinch-hitter in the sixth inning. According to Bryan Hoch and Jamal Collier of MLB.com, Yankees manager Joe Girardi didn’t like what he heard during a conversation with McCann and didn’t want to take any chances.

“He said it was his jaw,” Girardi said. “He felt like his jaw got jammed. And then in talking to him later when he came in, in the sixth, he said he felt a little foggy. He was having a hard time putting words to it, so I helped him. I said, ‘You’re out.’ He didn’t want to come out, but I said, ‘You’re out.'”

FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that McCann will be examined by a neurologist this morning before the Yankees decide the next step, with a trip to the 7-day concussion disabled list a possibility. Francisco Cervelli would take over as the starting catcher if he needs to miss some time while Austin Romine would likely be called up from Triple-A.

McCann, who signed a five-year, $85 million deal contact with the Yankees over the winter, is batting .238/.294/.384 with 13 home runs and 49 RBI over 103 games this season.

1. bigmeechy74 - Aug 9, 2014 at 9:58 AM

None of these injuries matter. They are the best team in baseball and it isn’t even that close. Their pitching staff is unhittable. The staff ace is Brandon McCarthy. He is the best in all of MLB. He’s MUCH better than Kershaw. And then when you have dominant arms like Esmil Rogers, Chris Capuano, and shane greene then there is nothing to worry about. Especially when you consider all the young in-their-prime position players. Just so much speed and athleticism. It makes perfect sense that they win every day.

• renaado - Aug 9, 2014 at 10:32 AM

“The staff ace is Brandon McCarthy. He is the best in all of MLB. He’s MUCH better than Kershaw.”

Please tell me you have gotta be jokin…

• johnnysoda - Aug 9, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I think you missed the sarcasm.

At least I hope it was sarcasm.

• tearlw - Aug 9, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Does stupidity count as sarcasm?

• barrywhererufrom - Aug 9, 2014 at 12:08 PM

If they make the playoffs so many bitter Yankee haters like yourself will have your heads explode from your pinstripe envy..

• bigmeechy74 - Aug 9, 2014 at 1:03 PM

If they make the playoffs? They are guaranteed to at least make the ALCS. They cant be stopped. Their pitching staff is better than the 90s braves FOR NO REASON

2. Gordon - Aug 9, 2014 at 10:03 AM

PFT has become infested with these “super troll” commenters, which makes the comment sections not very interesting to read, & basically unreadable.

I pray the infection is not spreading to HBT. If so, hopefully the team here does a better job of eradicating this scourge.

• lazlosother - Aug 9, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Meechy’s comment was made in jest. I’m a Yanks fan and it made me laugh.

3. twpguy1964 - Aug 9, 2014 at 10:04 AM

For the life of me I can’t understand why a professional baseball player would wear the same type crap equipment protecting there heads. They have MILLIONS of dollars to get better equipment but dont. My son is in college, is a catcher, and my wife and I got him a mask and helmet designed to deflect impact. My son had 2 concussions in a year, changed to the new equipment and none in 2 and counting, thank god.

• mybrunoblog - Aug 9, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Right. MLB players don’t have the best equipment money can buy. From what planet are you posting from? Obviously, the full helmet mask protects better but some players choose the lighter more flexible traditional mask. Concussions have been happening for 100 years. Only difference is now we take the treat the players where we used to just say “Take a minute, catch your breath, you’ll be fine kid get back in there”

• dcarroll73 - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:03 AM

mybrunoblog, you do notice, I hope, that your own comment is logically inconsistent? If the MLB players (catchers) are choosing to go with an older “traditional” style, then they are probably NOT using the best equipment money can buy (defining “best” as most protective.) Whether this is due to an idea that the new style would interfere with their play or not, it is probably not a good long term decision. Concussions might have always happened, but I’d bet that faster pitchers and stronger batters make a concussion WAY more likely for a catcher in today’s game.

4. banksatdixie - Aug 9, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Bitter much??

• jimeejohnson - Aug 9, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Nope. Happy much: I got eRL!

5. deathmonkey41 - Aug 9, 2014 at 12:40 PM

My only question is why call up Romine? The dude can’t hit in the majors. At least Murphy had some success.

• tearlw - Aug 9, 2014 at 2:14 PM

The didn’t bring him up to hit the ball, they brought him up to catch the ball.

• bigmeechy74 - Aug 9, 2014 at 3:46 PM

who needs hitting when you only give up about half a run per game?

6. mungman69 - Aug 9, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Everytime that I watch a game from Yankee stadium I see sooooo many empty seats. How much can a person expect to pay for one (1) of those prime seats?

7. caeser12 - Aug 9, 2014 at 4:47 PM

I think that the great Gene “stick” Michael, needs to take back that Thurman Munson comparison, McCann just doesn’t have it, even before the concussion, oh well.

Go NY.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (3012)