Aug 9, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
UPDATE: Brian McCann has been placed on the 7-day concussion disabled list. The Yankees have recalled Austin Romine from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to take his place on the active roster.
The Yankees have also announced the unconditional release of second baseman Brian Roberts, who was recently designated for assignment.
9:31 a.m. ET: Yankees catcher Brian McCann suffered what’s being termed as a “mild concussion” after he was hit in the mask by a foul tip in the third inning last night against the Indians.
McCann stayed in the game initially, but he was lifted for a pinch-hitter in the sixth inning. According to Bryan Hoch and Jamal Collier of MLB.com, Yankees manager Joe Girardi didn’t like what he heard during a conversation with McCann and didn’t want to take any chances.
“He said it was his jaw,” Girardi said. “He felt like his jaw got jammed. And then in talking to him later when he came in, in the sixth, he said he felt a little foggy. He was having a hard time putting words to it, so I helped him. I said, ‘You’re out.’ He didn’t want to come out, but I said, ‘You’re out.'”
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that McCann will be examined by a neurologist this morning before the Yankees decide the next step, with a trip to the 7-day concussion disabled list a possibility. Francisco Cervelli would take over as the starting catcher if he needs to miss some time while Austin Romine would likely be called up from Triple-A.
McCann, who signed a five-year, $85 million deal contact with the Yankees over the winter, is batting .238/.294/.384 with 13 home runs and 49 RBI over 103 games this season.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (106)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)