Aug 9, 2014, 11:59 AM EST
UPDATE: Brian McCann has been placed on the 7-day concussion disabled list. The Yankees have recalled Austin Romine from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to take his place on the active roster.
The Yankees have also announced the unconditional release of second baseman Brian Roberts, who was recently designated for assignment.
9:31 a.m. ET: Yankees catcher Brian McCann suffered what’s being termed as a “mild concussion” after he was hit in the mask by a foul tip in the third inning last night against the Indians.
McCann stayed in the game initially, but he was lifted for a pinch-hitter in the sixth inning. According to Bryan Hoch and Jamal Collier of MLB.com, Yankees manager Joe Girardi didn’t like what he heard during a conversation with McCann and didn’t want to take any chances.
“He said it was his jaw,” Girardi said. “He felt like his jaw got jammed. And then in talking to him later when he came in, in the sixth, he said he felt a little foggy. He was having a hard time putting words to it, so I helped him. I said, ‘You’re out.’ He didn’t want to come out, but I said, ‘You’re out.'”
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that McCann will be examined by a neurologist this morning before the Yankees decide the next step, with a trip to the 7-day concussion disabled list a possibility. Francisco Cervelli would take over as the starting catcher if he needs to miss some time while Austin Romine would likely be called up from Triple-A.
McCann, who signed a five-year, $85 million deal contact with the Yankees over the winter, is batting .238/.294/.384 with 13 home runs and 49 RBI over 103 games this season.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 169
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 51
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (169)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)