Caleb Joseph has homered in five consecutive games

Aug 9, 2014, 7:46 PM EDT

Caleb Joseph Caleb Joseph

If you’re not familiar with the name Caleb Joseph, you’re not alone. The 28-year-old, drafted by the Orioles in the seventh round of the 2008 draft, made his major league debut on May 7 this season and has been playing regularly behind the dish since catcher Matt Wieters succumbed to a season-ending elbow injury.

On August 1, Joseph went 0-for-3 with a pair of strikeouts against the Mariners, dropping his batting average to .199 and his OPS to .577. Since then, though, Joseph has caught fire. His second-inning two-run home run against Cardinals starter John Lackey today was his fifth home run in his last five games. As MLB.com’s David Wilson notes, Joseph has become the 15th catcher to homer in five consecutive games. Reds catcher Devin Mesoraco also accomplished the feat earlier this season, between June 20-25.

The record for home runs in consecutive games by a catcher is six, held by Walker Cooper, a catcher for the New York Giants in 1947. The overall record is eight consecutive games with a home run, accomplished by three players: Dale Long (1956), Don Mattingly (1987), and Ken Griffey, Jr. (1993).

Including today’s 2-for-4 performance, Joseph is now slashing .227/.287/.429 with eight home runs and 21 RBI in 175 plate appearances.

1. gargamelsmentor - Aug 9, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Never, ever did I think we’d see Caleb THIS on fire! I will happily lead bringing him out for a curtain call if he does it tomorrow. Good luck Caleb!!!!

2. twinfan24 - Aug 9, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Did you mean record for home runs in consecutive games “by a catcher”?

• Bill Baer - Aug 9, 2014 at 8:14 PM

I did. Sorry for the lack of specificity. Added details about the overall record as well.

3. randomdigits - Aug 9, 2014 at 8:44 PM

He’s a 28 year old rookie (month younger then Wieters) who spent four seasons in AA ball.

Talk about a story Hollywood would reject as being unrealistic.

• slappymcknucklepunch - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:32 AM

No,no it would not be rejected.

Act one would start out how no one but his peasant parents and his best friends ugly sister believed in him even though he hitss 700 foot moonshots against the best pitchers in the league every at bat.

Act two would give the back story of how he gives hope to lactose intolerant-dyslectic 4th graders with ADD(whom also have tWtW)by hitting HRs just so they can set him up with a woman who is also thier lifecoach/guidance counciler whom also runs the charity softball league.

*Spoiler Alert*

She is the former ugly duckling and they reunite at the mall and dance with elves and Santa because reasons.Baseball is year round and they buy all the kids toys because a AA ballplayer has plenty of cash.Unfortuanately he was being called up at this same moment and was’nt able to answer his phone as he was giving every one hope.

Act three would the commence to being trite and stupid and that is when I tend to give up on sports movies.

The real thing is great when it happens live.I like Jimmy Fallon,I have a crush on Drew,but did they REALLY have to sully a an era defining moment to film that movie?

My grampies who both gave me the passion and self hatred of being a Sox fan died waiting for a WS title,I just wanted to reflect and think good things for a minute.I know in the grand scheme of things I still had the moment,but once hollywood intruded it felt somewhat cheapened.

Maybe it is me as I dont watch much TV and Only watch new movies on-demand,but for me it turned a 100% high into a maybe 98% high.

Then again I was high

• bigmeechy74 - Aug 10, 2014 at 2:17 PM

I can’t believe I read all of that. Wow that was all over the place

4. gbrglax - Aug 9, 2014 at 9:09 PM

His defense is outstanding and he calls a very good game. Caleb is living a dream right now.

5. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 9, 2014 at 9:09 PM

John Lackey was not impressed.

(This was technically after a JJ Hardy single that scored Cruz. At this point, Cruz and Joseph both already had homeruns, and shortly after Delmon Young hit one of his own off Lackey. Lackey ended up giving up 9 runs and 13 hits over 5 innings.)

6. joeflaccosunibrow - Aug 9, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Weiters who?

7. proudlycanadian - Aug 9, 2014 at 9:50 PM

“This is getting tedious. Tell him to stop it.” (The rest of the AL East.)

8. bigmeechy74 - Aug 9, 2014 at 10:10 PM

He’s already accomplished more than uber-bust matt wieters

9. scoobies05 - Aug 9, 2014 at 11:55 PM

please explain how a 3 time all star and gold glove winner is a bust. while he hasn’t been “Mauer with power”, he has become a top 5 catcher. hardly a bust

• bigmeechy74 - Aug 10, 2014 at 2:15 PM

All the hype was that he was going to hit .300 and 30+ homers every year. Instead he hits like garbage. I don’t give a damn about him “calling a good game” and “providing a good backstop”

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2968)