Aug 9, 2014, 7:46 PM EDT
If you’re not familiar with the name Caleb Joseph, you’re not alone. The 28-year-old, drafted by the Orioles in the seventh round of the 2008 draft, made his major league debut on May 7 this season and has been playing regularly behind the dish since catcher Matt Wieters succumbed to a season-ending elbow injury.
On August 1, Joseph went 0-for-3 with a pair of strikeouts against the Mariners, dropping his batting average to .199 and his OPS to .577. Since then, though, Joseph has caught fire. His second-inning two-run home run against Cardinals starter John Lackey today was his fifth home run in his last five games. As MLB.com’s David Wilson notes, Joseph has become the 15th catcher to homer in five consecutive games. Reds catcher Devin Mesoraco also accomplished the feat earlier this season, between June 20-25.
The record for home runs in consecutive games by a catcher is six, held by Walker Cooper, a catcher for the New York Giants in 1947. The overall record is eight consecutive games with a home run, accomplished by three players: Dale Long (1956), Don Mattingly (1987), and Ken Griffey, Jr. (1993).
Including today’s 2-for-4 performance, Joseph is now slashing .227/.287/.429 with eight home runs and 21 RBI in 175 plate appearances.
Aug 27, 2015, 5:34 PM EDT
Fernandez missed much of the season recovering from Tommy John elbow surgery.
Aug 27, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
No shorts, though. Major bummer.
Aug 27, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT
Its not often we have reason to cheer the decisions ESPN makes but today we do.
Aug 27, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT
Time is still undefeated.
Aug 27, 2015, 3:24 PM EDT
Aug 27, 2015, 3:13 PM EDT
This is a great slice of weird, totally suitable for killing time on a slow afternoon. Bonus: Bon Jovi is tangentially involved.
Aug 27, 2015, 2:16 PM EDT
Los Angeles acquired Callaspo from Atlanta in a late-May trade.
Aug 27, 2015, 1:34 PM EDT
Last week’s rumored trade with the Dodgers apparently fell through.
Aug 27, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
“Smithers’ I’m beginning to think that Homer Simpson was not the brilliant tactician I thought he was.”
Aug 27, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
He’s having an incredible season.
Aug 27, 2015, 11:34 AM EDT
Basically, we’re all miserable EXCEPT Cubs fans. What a bizzaro world we live in.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Jennings spent three months on the disabled list following knee surgery.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:57 AM EDT
No wins in over three months despite a 3.24 ERA.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:06 AM EDT
Boycotts thrive on publicity. This one ended as soon as the publicity started.
Aug 27, 2015, 8:38 AM EDT
This is why Starlin Castro does not have the shortstop gig anymore.
Aug 27, 2015, 7:45 AM EDT
Nowadays everybody wanna talk like they got something to say, but nothing comes out when they move their lips, just a bunch of gibberish, And opposing teams act like they forgot about JV.
Aug 26, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
Crawford is having a breakout season at age 28, with an .806 OPS (123 OPS+), 19 home runs, and 75 RBI in 121 games.
Aug 26, 2015, 10:32 PM EDT
Verlander still managed to go the distance against a good Angels offense for his first shutout since 2012.
Aug 26, 2015, 9:26 PM EDT
It is August 26, 2015 and Justin Verlander has a no-hitter going against the Mike Trout-led Angels.
Aug 26, 2015, 9:05 PM EDT
Good on everybody involved in wanting to get ahead of a potential tragedy.
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 33
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 25
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)