VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Honus Wagner for sixth on all-time hits list

Aug 9, 2014, 3:31 PM EST

Derek Jeter AP AP

After tying Honus Wagner for sixth on MLB’s all-time hits list last night, Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter moved into sole possession this afternoon with an infield single against Indians right-hander Corey Kluber in the bottom of the sixth inning. He now has 3,431 hits in his career.

Jeter tapped a slow roller to the left side of the infield which third baseman Lonnie Chisenhall attempted to pick up on the bare-hand, but he couldn’t make the play. Check out the video below:

His last two hits haven’t been the prettiest, but they still count as much as the rest of them. Tris Speaker (3,515) is in fifth place on the all-time hits list, so this is almost certainly as high as Jeter will be able to climb in his final season. Of course, the top-four consist of Pete Rose (4,256), Ty Cobb (4,191), Hank Aaron (3,771), and Stan Musial (3,630). Quite a group.

1. raysfan1 - Aug 9, 2014 at 3:38 PM

If you count Cap Anson’s AA stats, then Jeter is still 7th. However, Anson has 3445 including the American Association time, so Jeter will pass that too. 6th is where he will finish no matter how you slice it.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Aug 9, 2014 at 3:49 PM

American Association? Or National Association?

• raysfan1 - Aug 9, 2014 at 3:53 PM

My bad–did that off the top of my head. You’re right, National Assosciation. Also, it was 3435 not 3445 hits.

• raysfan1 - Aug 9, 2014 at 3:59 PM

The American Association was of course a AAA league until the late 1990s.

I’ll just go hide under a rock now that I’ve finished embarrassing myself. Yeesh.

• jwbiii - Aug 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM

The American Association was also considered a major league from 1882-91. Their regular season champion played the NL champion from 1884-90, and they won once. Hall of Famers who played in the AA include Dan Bouthers and Tommy McCarthy,

• jwbiii - Aug 9, 2014 at 10:53 PM

My goodness, how could I forget Pud Galvin! He held many pitching career records before Cy Young passed him a few years later and was also the first player I am aware of to take PEDs.

• raysfan1 - Aug 9, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Yes, he was a vocal advocate of using Brown-Sequard solution…ie, animal testosterone.

• jwbiii - Aug 10, 2014 at 2:49 AM

Brown-Sequard elixir was marketed as an anti-aging product. If used today, it would cause a player to fail a testosterone/epitestosterone ratio test and then the exogenous testosterone follow up test. The same tests as the Biogenesis clients who failed tests: Melky Cabrera, Bartolo Colon, and Yasmani Grandal failed. Things haven’t changed much in the last 125 years.

Charles-Edouard Brown-Sequard was a scientist, Anthony Bosch is just a drug dealer.

• moogro - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Regular contributors can’t embarrass themselves anymore, we’ve already done that! :)

• raysfan1 - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Touché, moogro!

• pbtunpaidwriter - Aug 10, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Jeter has to be one of the most overrated players ever. He is an above avg. player who has played for 20 seasons now and has been lucky to stay healthy with the exception of a couple seasons ago when his career should have ended anyway. He has been consistent but not extraordinary. He has had 2-3 MVP-level seasons but nothing great outside of them.

He immensely benefitted from playing on a perennial beast in the Yankees and has more postseason experience that any great can only dream of. His defensive skills have been declining for years and he is one of the most overrated players ever.

I’ll take Ichiro over him who’s a much better skilled player who was stuck on a bad Mariners team for years. Pujols is better too. Ken Griffey, etc.

OVERRATED. PERIOD.

• raysfan1 - Aug 10, 2014 at 10:38 AM

There are many who do indeed over-rate Jeter. People who swoon and seem to think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

However, he is simultaneously under-rated, probably as an emotional reaction to the swooners initially. You can tell these people because they go on rants about how over-rated he is in response to comments that only mentioned a fact about him, say how many hits he has in his career. They include parts of their rant in all caps as if that actually helps their point. They actually try to down grade him to being a “very good” player rather than an obvious Hall of Famer. They point out that they think other sure-fire Hall of Famers are better players as if the means he is not one also. It’s an interesting phenomenon.

• pbtunpaidwriter - Aug 10, 2014 at 11:28 AM

The public will perceive Jeter > Ichiro when the opposite is really true.

The only thing Jeter does better is he hits for more power. Ichiro does EVERYTHING else better.Btw I’m not Japanese.

Baseball is becoming a joke in America. No DH in the NL. Too few teams make the playoffs which kills teams’ spirits in April itself. Selig is an old and dumb dinosaur who hates change even for the better.

• raysfan1 - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Again, a mostly irrelevant rant. I’ve never said Jeter is better than Ichiro. I also do not care whether you are Japanese. Both are great players, and both are guaranteed to have plaques hanging in Cooperstown–and deservedly so.

• raym64 - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:52 PM

There’s exactly 5 players in history that have more hits. How does that not make Jeter one of the baseball greats?

2. nothanksimdriving123 - Aug 9, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Wow, I don’t think anyone could have seen THIS coming.

3. missthemexpos - Aug 9, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Now all Jeter needs is one last gold glove to finish off his career!

4. anthonykornheiser - Aug 9, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Miss expos, nice insult. 6th all time in hits and 5 rings is pretty good to me.

5. sportsfan18 - Aug 9, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Jeter just flew out to center folks… but while running out the batted ball, he made it to and touched first base.

The official scorer scored it as a hit when he saw him touch first base…

• slappymcknucklepunch - Aug 9, 2014 at 11:48 PM

Somhow I could almost see that happening.

6. nobody78 - Aug 9, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Wow. Highlight for the ages, baby.

How can you give Jeter a hit on that? The throw to first hit Santana’s glove and fell out. That’s the definition of error.

7. mlbfan8898 - Aug 9, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Now officially the greatest shortstop of all time.

8. themagicfanguy - Aug 9, 2014 at 10:30 PM

@mlbfan except that he’s not. Nowhere close to Ripken and still behind Wagner.

• slappymcknucklepunch - Aug 9, 2014 at 11:54 PM

While he is not a good SS and I have my doubts he ever was,He was and is a GREAT hitter.

5 rings helps too.

• tearlw - Aug 10, 2014 at 12:22 AM

Everyone at short is behind Wagner. But, I’m not so sure about Ripken. The slash lines are: Jeter .311/.379/.442 to Ripken’s .276/.340/.447. Despite having more than 100 home runs less than Ripken (431 vs 259), Jeter has a higher slugging average. With respect to speed and base running, it’s no contest. Jeter has stolen 356 bases. Ripken stole 36 and was caught 39 times. Jeter edges him in OPS+ 116 to 112 and of course the big one 3430 hits (and counting) to 3184. Jeter struck out 500 more times than Ripken and still ended up 35 points ahead in BA in 500 fewer at bats.
      I know it’s heresy around here, but I’d take Jeter over Ripken.

PS: Just for the hellofit, my all time team: LHP Koufax RHP Big Train C Berra 1B Gehrig 2B Hornsby 3B Schmidt SS Wagner OF Ruth OF Cobb OF Aaron

• dcarroll73 - Aug 10, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Both Mantle and Mays in their prime outplayed Aaron with no contest. Mays was just as good a hitter, a better base runner, a better fielder, and had a better arm. Mantle was a better hitter and a switch hitter with lethal power from both sides, and he was a much better fielder (even after he hurt his knee.) Cobb is dugout and on-field poison, and as they pointed out in field of dreams nobody wants to play with him. How about we drop Cobb and Aaron and replace them with Mantle and Mays? Frankly with Willie and the Mick out there (and Ruth was a better fielder than some give him credit for) it would be just about impossible to hit a gapper against that outfield.

• tearlw - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:08 AM

I went with Aaron over Mays (it’s tough I won’t lie) because he has 500 more hits and 100 more HRs. Mays is a better fielder, but since Cobb is in center, I’m okay with less than Willie Mays in the corners.
        And I went with Cobb over Mantle because, well, Cobb. .366 and 4189 vs .298 and 2415
        I like a drink as much as the next guy, so I’d party with Mick, but I’m picking Cobb for the team no matter how much a movie says was a jerk. Even if he was. Which he was.

PS: Lists like this are fun because they’re debatable, but almost inarguable. Who’s better Aaron or Mays? Seriously? Flip a coin. At the All Time Great level, it’s tough to say, “You’re nuts! That’s ridiculous! Aaron is way better than Mays.” See? That just doesn’t sound sane to me. But, it’s still fun to talk about.

• American of African Descent - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:55 PM

I can’t get behind the Honus Wagner love just because they guy didn’t play against meaningful competition. Even if you take the segregation argument out of it (and I don’t think you should, but even if you do), the best athletes didn’t play baseball—sports weren’t necessarily the way to get ahead.

Just for fun, my team is 1. Bob Gibson, 2. Roy Campanella, 3. Albert Pujols, 4. Jackie Robinson, 5. Mike Schmidt, 6. Ozzie Smith (unless you’ll let me pick A-Rod), 7. Micky Mantle, 8. Willie Mays, 9. Henry Aaron, DH. Barry Bonds

• American of African Descent - Aug 10, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Honus who-never-played-against-top-talent Wagner? Right . . .

9. Mikhel - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:22 AM

Just sixth all time??? Reaaally??? Dude is sooooo overrated!!! Sixth!!! pppffft.

Wait, what if that is a signal: yankees are the evil empire and Jeter is now Sith but camuflaged the fact being SIxTH!!!!! Daaaaaaaaaaang!!!

10. Mikhel - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:30 AM

Now, seriously, it has been amazing to watch Jeter’s career entirely over the course of the years, sans a few games here and there that I could not catch.

Amazing career, really, truly… great.

11. jaypace - Aug 10, 2014 at 12:35 PM

It’s a good thing you are unpaid.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4821)