Aug 9, 2014, 11:03 PM EST
Update (11:07 PM): And it’s over. Dustin Pedroia leads off the seventh with a single, ending Richards’ no-hit bid. Are we a jinx? You be the judge.
Angels starter Garrett Richards is currently working on a gem. The right-hander has made it through six innings without allowing a hit against the Red Sox tonight. The only blemishes on his record are two walks: one to David Ortiz in the fourth inning, and one to Mike Napoli to lead off the fifth.
Richards, 26, was one of the five American Leaguers put on the Final Vote for July’s All-Star Game in Minnesota, but Chris Sale wound up with the nod. Entering tonight’s start, Richards had compiled a 12-4 record with a 2.58 ERA and a 152/48 K/BB ratio in 153 1/3 innings spanning 23 starts.
We’ll keep you updated here as Richards attempts to seal the deal at home against the Red Sox.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)